Running CuraEngine from command line, returns empty GCode file

BiLeVi

Posted · Running CuraEngine from command line, returns empty GCode file

I have been attempting to get CuraEngine running from the command line in order to use an interactive python script with it through the subprocess import that python has. I call the directory that Ultimaker Cura is in, then type in the argument:

CuraEngine slice -v -p -j C:/Users/blv/Cura/resources/definitions/ultimaker2.def.json -o C:\Users\blv\Desktop\200_stars.gcode -l C:\Users\blv\Desktop\stl files\200_stars.stl

I get the output file 200_stars.gcode, but when I open it, its completely empty!

There are errors/warnings that pop up within the command prompt, which state:

[WARNING] JSON setting zig_zaggify_support has no default_value!
[ERROR] Couldn't find definition file with ID: ultimaker2_extruder_0
[ERROR] Couldn't open JSON file:
[WARNING] JSON setting machine_end_gcode has no default_value!
[WARNING] Unrecognized data type in JSON setting machine_head_with_fans_polygon

[WARNING] Unable to recognize the extension of the file. Currently only .stl and .STL are supported.[ERROR] Failed to load model: C:\Users\blv\Desktop\stl. (error number 0)

I believe that the empty GCode output is a result of the JSON file not being read properly, but I do not know how to get it to open and read correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @BiLeVi,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Personallly I'm not very skilled with running from the engine command line, and most of the Cura Developers can be found on the Github https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura

But I can ask someone from the team to take a look for you. 🤞

The best way to overcome these problems is to create a folder that includes all files needed including the .stl file and a little batch file for running the slicer engine.

Looking on your errors there are missing:

ultimaker2_extruder_0.def.json,

in addition you need:

ultimaker.def.json,

fdmextruder.def.json

Here is an litte example, extract the folder Test to your Desktop and run batch file SliceUM2.bat in cmd window:

Test.zip

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Running CuraEngine from command line, returns empty GCode file

I might be wrong, but shouldn't you have quotation marks around the STL file path? There's a space in it

C:\Users\blv\Desktop\stl files\200_stars.stl

^

right here

Edited by Nosybottle
    • Like 1

• 2 months later...