Maximize Print Bed Space - Adjust Safe Zone

Derrringer

Posted (edited) · Maximize Print Bed Space - Adjust Safe Zone

I have a 300mmx300mm print bed on an Artillery Sidewinder X1. Cura (v 5.1.0) currently limits this down to 276mmx276mm with the non-editable safe zone. May not sound like a lot but that's 15% of the total print volume!!

I've seen a little bit of information on this, but more specific on a "per-printer" basis and modifying the printer definitions in the program files. With the Sidewinder, it appears the overrides are inherited from other definitions and it seemed to become a wild goose chase to find truly editable values that would help expand the volume.

I understand the purposes behind the safe zone but my print head can travel the entire 300mm without hardware impedance and I don't use and bed clips due to the glass bed design - and by evidence of not having override values applied directly to my printer in the files, it would seem I should be able to change these on my own. I worked for 5 hours making a part that has a requirement of 286mm in length (printing vertically is not an option). With my build plate having 14mm to spare, I didn't think Cura would be such a pain to get past.

I paid for the whole printer, I'm going to use the whole printer, dang it! Please, can someone just tell me while file to alter, or where I can expand it just a little bit so I can fit this 286mm part. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP JUST EXPAND THE SAFE ZONE 10MM

Edited by Derrringer

Posted · Maximize Print Bed Space - Adjust Safe Zone

All, this is still an issue but less urgent. I downloaded Prusa's Slicer and the parameters are less restrictive and I was able to produce a gcode and that's almost done. I still think I'd prefer to use Cura, so I hope the Devs can provide a workaround for the future (especially since the 286mm part I needed is printing just fine through Prusa).

Hey @Derrringer,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

There are actually some settings that would limit your buildvolume that you can change or disable.
    A compresive list can be found here: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013799339-How-to-print-the-maximum-build-volume-in-Ultimaker-Cura

image.thumb.png.ebd4ba17f240115c461244608bc56502.png

Would this help you to reach the buildvolume you are looking for? 

• Like 1

This is from the Artillery definition file for your printer:

"overrides": {
            "machine_name": { "default_value": "Artillery Sidewinder X1" },
            "machine_width": { "default_value": 300 },
            "machine_depth": { "default_value": 300 },
            "machine_height": { "default_value": 400 },
            "gantry_height": { "value": 25 }

So in Cura "Manage Printers" and "Machine Settings" those should be the values.

With "Build Plate Adhesion Type" set to None you should see this (no reserved areas):

image.thumb.png.860a7c109fb7f9654fa5f7a9c5de49f1.png