Cannot find SolidWorks plugin in Cura 5.2.1

Aberration

Posted · Cannot find SolidWorks plugin in Cura 5.2.1

Hey @Aberration,

When installing a major Cura upgrade, for example from version 4.x to 5.x, it may be required for plugins to be verified and updated. Depending on the (external) developer, this might take some time. We encourage developers to update their plugins timely, but Ultimaker does not own the plugins. 

This plugin is maintained by our lovely community member Thomas, you can leave a comment here:

If you have a Professional or Excellence subscription with Ultimaker you have access to the Native CAD plugin that will have you load Solidworks files and gives you other benefits. You can read more about it here. 
https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022116740-Opening-native-CAD-files-in-Ultimaker-Cura

• 3 weeks later...
    5 hours ago, doobes said:

Awesomeness.

Way to screw your users.

😞

I thought that @MariMakes explained quite well that Ultimaker has nothing to do with the SolidWorks plugin.

I don't use Solidworks but I did try to contact "Thomas" as there have been other inquiries about the plugin.  I didn't get any response and it appears the plugin has not been updated to use the Qt6 controls that Cura migrated to.

There is a thread HERE about the plugin.  You can also try to contact the author (whose screenname here is @thopiekar) yourself.  You can also visit his Github page HERE.

This all might be completely true, but when she threw out the part about the capability being available to those on SUBSCRIPTION, then the real truth emerged.

I see that the "CAD integration" plugin is available with the subscription.  It appears to be a universal translator for CAD files from AutoDesk, Catia and 10 other CAD packages including Solidworks.  That is considerably more capable than the Solidworks plugin that was included with the freeware version of Cura.  It's a 500mb download as opposed to Thopiekar's 2.9mb download.

• Like 1

The CAD integration could be good except you have to pay for an expensive subscription whereas solidwork integration was FREE. Guess i will have to stick with 4.1.0 for the remainder of my ultimaker 3d printer's life.

Creating a new Software version that is not compatible with previous version plugins is a step back. When developing a new version you expect upgrades not downgrades, even if they are from third parties. If it used to work with version 4 it should work with version 5. Disappointing. 

1 hour ago, MarcoV said:

Creating a new Software version that is not compatible with previous version plugins is a step back. When developing a new version you expect upgrades not downgrades, even if they are from third parties. If it used to work with version 4 it should work with version 5. Disappointing. 

Do you have any idea how much cruft there is in Windows that exists purely to try and maintain backwards compatibility with 20+ year old software? It's not a sustainable model.

In this case it's also a matter that maintaining backwards compatibility would inhibit future development, especially when the change doesn't affect the software's raison d'être: slicing models. I'd much rather see Cura grow to gain more features useful to many people than held back by the needs a few.

It's not UltiMaker's fault that this plugin hasn't been updated to work with newer versions as it was not developed by them. It's a problem that often comes up with community made projects: the developer no longer has the time or inclination or continue working on them.

When I played WoW pretty heavily (mostly around Wrath, when they found the right balance between accessibility and EZ mode) I created a couple of mods to do things I wanted to do but didn't already exist. Did some people miss them when they inevitably died due to software rot? Honestly don't know, but I wasn't going to keep paying for a subscription and play the game when I really wasn't inclined to just to keep those mods alive.

• Like 1