NOT SUPPORTED??

Rotorfreak
Go to solution Solved by MariMakes,

Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??

Hello, I'm an intermediate 3D printer user and still learning. I have a Creality CR10-S4 3D printer. I downloaded Cura 5.1.0 for the first time and am having problems adding new material like  my PLA+ from 3D fuel. First I added my printer from the drop-down list as a 'non-network' printer. Made sure all settings were correct. Then I succeeded in creating a new material for my PLA+ but keep getting a "NON SUPPORTED" message.  I searched YT for a solution with no positive results. Either they're using older versions of Cura or 'importing profiles' different from mine. This 'non supported' message is very frustrating. I attached a photo of Cura pointing out my printer type, the 'Exclamation' point in the Material type and 'non supported' message, which I'm sure you are all familiar with. Any help in creating new filaments or resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Not Supported.jpg

Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??

Hey @Rotorfreak,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

I think I know what is going on here. 😊

When making a new material, it's really important to match the Material Type to one of your generic materials. 
    image.thumb.png.fa45fc2edbe5af4917d1a3d6bd6538ed.png

If they don't match, for example by changing the PLA to PLA+, Cura cannot find the matching Quality for that material. 

You are not the only one running into this so we are looking for a way to change the design so this mistake get's made less.

I you change your material type back to PLA, your material should be supported again.
    I hope this helps 😊

Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??

Hello,

Much appreciate the reply. Yup, I tried all sorts of methods to create a new filament e.g. PETG-CF (carbon fiber) temps Noz 200-240 Bed 75-85 no manufacturer except for RoHS compliance. I was able to create it but as you already are aware it's 'Not Supported'. We, as non-Ultimaker users shouldn't be prevented from using any exotic filaments. As you said, we should be able to select a 'supported' filament, then, 'duplicate' that filament, then, amend the 'filament parameters' including the 'print settings' and bingo, there's your filament. Why does Cura have to 'validate' the filament used?? If during the 'add a printer' process I indicate my machine as a Creality CR10-S4 then Cura should know the 'basic' requirements of that printer and allow me to create any filament I choose. Adding a 'new' filament shouldn't such a frustrating ordeal. This problem has prevented me from printing some projects using special filaments. What a huge disappointment.

• Solution
    Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??

Hey @Rotorfreak,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you are limited by the workflow.
    There is still plenty of options to customize. 

All values can be changed, you won't have to see the regular PLA material type when you are working with it. 

image.thumb.png.83a6c764ef5be985f82b2b66b6e252aa.png

If I would want to make a PETG CF material like you described I would Create New material and put PETG as material type. I can still alter the temperatures you mentioned and select it without seeing the material type. 
    image.thumb.png.33589c81ca52fab7b17969df3f87b4c4.png

If you are feeling brave you can unlink your material and alter settings in your xml.fdm_material file. 
    It shows up in the Materials folder in your Configuration Folder. 
    You can use https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/definitions/fdmprinter.def.json as a cheat sheet for the settings you need. 
    image.thumb.png.0d6b14255d79348aa3734225fb7fa59f.png

Good luck! 💪

• Like 1
    • Heart 1

Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??

MariMakes,

Sorry, but I've had a S5 Bundle for over a year, and adding Materials to CURA and trying to get it Sync'd with my S5 bundle is a totally frustrating experience.... most times you sit there like a fool waiting for the Synbc to complete, and it NEVER does. Making NEW materials that aren't on Ultimaker's list is next to impossible to use. You "click your life away" and nothing ever changes.  Then if you make a new material you want to delete it's option is "greyed out"  Another example of how poorly CURA's relationship with the printer is. It might be a great "slicer" but the GUI looks and works like it was developed 20 year ago.

Sorry, but the hobbyist that still work at Ultimaker need to step up their game. I purchased a $10K, and yet $400 printers have better GUI

Please show us a video on how to add a NEW custom material to a Ultimaker Printer and upload it to the printer.

• Heart 1
    • Confused 2

Posted · NOT SUPPORTED??
    17 minutes ago, Trlby said:

Please show us a video on how to add a NEW custom material to a Ultimaker Printer and upload it to the printer.

1. Create new material in cura
    2. Press sync with printer

19 minutes ago, Trlby said:

Then if you make a new material you want to delete it's option is "greyed out" 

Because it's active in a machine. Make sure no printer in Cura has that material selected. We already have a ticked on the backlog to make this clearer.

18 minutes ago, Trlby said:

Sorry, but the hobbyist that still work at Ultimaker need to step up their game.

I understand that you are frustrated, but I would also appreciate a bit of respect. If you are unable to provide this, feel free to return the printer. I do not appreciate being insulted and the same holds true for my colleagues. We're all human beings. Thanks!

• Heart 1