Coasting not applied on parts with only outer walls

Mike2481632

Posted (edited) · Coasting not applied on parts with only outer walls

Coasting works on the brim and on other models, but this print does not seem to be affected. It doesn't work even if I set minimum volume before coasting to 0 so that's not the issue. I'm guessing it has something to do with the model consisting of only outer walls but I have no idea. Any ideas why this is happening and/or how to get coasting to turn on?

image.png

Edited by Mike2481632

Posted · Coasting not applied on parts with only outer walls

Hey @Mike2481632,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project

Personally I don't often use the coasting settings. 
    Did you try printing it without the coasting settings? What was the result? 

@MariMakes I also don't usually use coasting, but this is a very thin print with small clearances and moving parts and the small blobs that formed at retractions were enough to make it not work. Coasting is supposed to solve this issue so I think getting it to work would help. I tried changing other settings but that didn't help enough so I need coasting.

Attached is the project file in case you need it.

AV_KATANA-TEST_PRINT.3mf

Edited by Mike2481632

@MariMakes Do you have any suggestions?

As @MariMakes already told, the file you had attached is corrupt. The stl file inside the .3mf file is corrupt. No chance to do anything.

A suggestion is to attach a newly created project file once more for upload and add in addition the stl file. There are as well missing some important information, like Cura version, operating system and material used.

The part seems to be small. Depending on the material used it is maybe worthwhile to play with flow rate, temperature, fan speed and retraction length / -speed in addition.

@Mike2481632 That file won't open in MS 3D Builder either.

I'm printing similar model and have the same issue - parts are sticking together at the Z seams and coasting config has no effect (tried different values/combinations).

I'm using Generic PLA (0.4 nozzle) Normal Quality (0.2mm) preset.

Tried adjusting other configs but with no success:

• Enabled/disabled retraction, changed retraction distance.
    • Enabled/disabled combing.
    • Set outer wall wipe distance (0 - 0.8).
    • Set flow (from default 95% down to 75%)
    • Set "Z Seam Alignment" to "Random"
    • Set temperature (from 200 to 210)

Model: Test object from collapsing sword.

Slicer: Ultimaker Cura v5.2.1 (macOS Big Sur)

Material: PLA (recommended temp. 200-230 C) 

Printer: Tronxy CRUX1

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

sword-test-print.stl

I'm having the same issue Cura 4.13.1 applies coasting correctly, but 5.x (tried 5.3 as well) does not. 

image.png

lightsaber-blade-sith.stl

Edited by lorrisek

Sorry for the late reply. Here is another project file (I have set the coasting volume really high to better illustrate the effect):

AV_KATANA-TEST_PRINT.3mf

I think it worked before Cura 5.x but I'm not sure. What I know for sure is that it hasn't worked in any versions of Cura 5.

I'm on Windows.

Even though I could maybe get the model to print by adjusting the flow and/or other settings it would still be nice to get coasting to work.

Edited by Mike2481632

The coasting is there, it's just very small and hidden by the white "Start" squares.  The skirt coasting is obvious but you have too look close to see it in the walls.  This is with your settings.

image.thumb.png.b2a0437d7735c9d5cb0cc7988f16d54a.png

Here I've dropped the "Minimum Volume Before Coasting" to .1mm³.

image.thumb.png.70b5cc72c73dcec57d0bcff5a6603a7a.png

When I inserted a cube next to your model the cube looked like I would expect with gaps where the coasting occurred.  Somehow your model is confusing Cura.  Maybe it's all those short line segments around the curves???  The skirt looks fine with gaps as expected.

This is your model scaled up to 300%.  Everything looks good here.

image.thumb.png.07034b5ef70e8f4e3c8d646c82549931.png

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Somehow your model is confusing Cura.

Is there any way to fix it? It looks like there is a small amount of coasting being applied but not everywhere...weird.

Adding an very very small "Outer Wall Wipe Distance" (e.g. 0.001 mm) fixes this problem for me.

Without "Outer Wall Wipe Distance"

image.thumb.png.6c8efc737c80936f4de5bc6be09ae3be.png

With "Outer Wall Wipe Distance"

image.thumb.png.07c9d0239021b3afa5614531cef6c952.png

On 2/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, emjay276 said:

Adding an very very small "Outer Wall Wipe Distance" (e.g. 0.001 mm) fixes this problem for me.

This does nothing for me.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, GregValiant said:

Somehow your model is confusing Cura.  Maybe it's all those short line segments around the curves???

This seems to be an issue for all parts with only outer walls. Another example is this flow calibration cube:
    image.thumb.png.be6ea42e10e04c2182580d288ad9637d.png
    AV_flow_calibration_cube.3mf

The issue is still present in Cura 5.5. Should I open an issue on GitHub?

Edited by Mike2481632

Here is your project sliced exactly as it downloaded.

image.thumb.png.3e11e0ff97e3e0aaf5a632c8061ed085.png

This is in 4.13.1 and the only change I made was to turn off "Coasting".

image.thumb.png.c492ca42728be7c2549484e048e90561.png

This is with 5.5 beta

image.thumb.png.9a39292cb966e3c38de7ce273f3096ea.png

This is with 5.4.0

image.thumb.png.03f3bfdbcb967072a4ec0048aab86d65.png

This cube has a wall that is 0.4mm thick.  Coasting is off.  This is 5.5beta.

image.thumb.png.f7c803f3d256f693cb3ecd0669b279f9.png

Your project file has coasting turned on and the coasting volume is set to 1cubic mm which is a lot.  The Cura preview only shows extrusions and there is no extrusion during a "coast" move.  There will always be a gap in a preview line if coasting is turned on.

@Mike2481632 You can fill in a bug report here on GitHub .  Be advised that I do a lot of the bug report triage over there and this sure looks like a setting issue to me.

Go to the "Experimental" section and turn off "Enable Coasting".  You should see the change in the preview.

@GregValiant I don't understand what you are saying. Are you trying to help me turn off coasting? If so, that's the opposite of what the issue here is. Can you explain please?

4 hours ago, Mike2481632 said:

@GregValiant I don't understand what you are saying. Are you trying to help me turn off coasting? If so, that's the opposite of what the issue here is. Can you explain please?

Yes, he is suggesting you turn off coasting. Coasting moves aren't shown in the preview mode because it's not extruding, so they're considered travels. That's why they don't appear.

You also have the coasting volume set very high which means it will coast for even longer without extruding, which is highly likely to result in underextrusion because it's very unlikely that the filament left in the nozzle will be as much as that setting.

If you turn off coasting in the settings you'll immediately see the difference in the preview.

Maybe I don't understand the problem.  As I understood your posts...

Printing this model is resulting in the parts getting glued together and you have decided that "Coasting" needs to be used to fix it.

We may be talking apples and oranges here.  It wouldn't be the first time.

I printed this with my own settings.  The main differences were:  Coasting off, Minimum retract distances to 0.1mm, no Extra Prime, Bridge Settings turned off,  Generate Support turned off, The line widths all at .45, the flow for everything at 100%, and I enabled Z-hops at 0.5.  I did not use "Random Z-Seam" but for this model it might be a good idea so any blobs are spread out and not in a line.

I ended up with three separate pieces.  There was some sticktion between the outside piece and the middle piece but it was minor.  I suppose it could be more of a problem on a longer model.  

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I printed this with my own settings.  The main differences were:  Coasting off, Minimum retract distances to 0.1mm, no Extra Prime, Bridge Settings turned off,  Generate Support turned off, The line widths all at .45, the flow for everything at 100%, and I enabled Z-hops at 0.5.

I tried those changes and the parts were welded together. Can we get back to fixing coasting?

1 hour ago, Mike2481632 said:

I tried those changes and the parts were welded together. Can we get back to fixing coasting?

Don't be so dead set on coasting. It's possible it's not the problem, and it's possible that whether or not it is, changing something else will give you a better end result.

@Mike2481632 Go over to GitHub and fill out a bug report.  The gcode generated by 4.13.1 contains the coasting moves throughout the print, but the gcode generated by the 5.x versions only seem to apply coasting to the bed adhesion.  So it does appear that coasting might be broken in the 5.x versions.  There is a reason why Coasting is in the Experimental section.

The problem with that print getting glued together is separate.  I would not expect coasting to either fix it, or make it worse.

• Like 1