Vertical lines on prints

kris
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Vertical lines on prints

Hi

I'm sure some of you have also come across this issue. Vertical lines on vertical, 2D curved, surfaces.

Can this be overcome (Cura 5.2.1)?

I tried a few things: high res STL, max travel resolution & deviation, speed, layer thickness between 0.06mm and 0.1mm.

Nothing changed this. 

I guess it has to do with how the printer approximates the curvature. 

Cheers

Kris

PXL_20221215_070925846.MP.jpg

• Solution

That is how compound curves will print.  It is a function of the STL resolution, layer height, and how Cura interprets the changing "curvature" layer-by-layer.  The phenomenon occurs because there isn't really a curve there but rather a number of triangular facets that approximate a curve.

If you open the model file in a program like MS 3D Builder and look at how the triangles are laid out you will see what is going on.  Cura slices through the edge lines of the triangles that are approximating the curve so the line segments change layer-by-layer and give that characteristic "woodgrain" pattern.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. That's also what I thought.

I also did a high res STL and printed it. Did not improve the behavior. Guess it is a hardware thing. 

UM2C turns out to be a different story. 

16 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

You could try printing it in another orientation (eg standing upright instead of flat on the bed), but that will affect the strength of the part.

Thanks. Not an option for this one I'm afraid. But...got mostly rid of it by changing to a Connect. Guess it uses different stepper drivers 😀

PXL_20221216_083015023.MP.jpg