[5.2.1] Sliced model missing details only in one orientation!? Bug?

Ltek

Posted · [5.2.1] Sliced model missing details only in one orientation!? Bug?

Screenshots show when in prepare vs sliced. When the model is horizontal on the bed, Cura misses critical model details. This is the SAME STL imported into Cura 5.2.1 and duplicated - changed orientation, then sliced. you can see it is missing the center debossed area (which is identical depth to the top debossed area), and the holes on the back that are connection points to the a separate STL which is the 2nd part of the model.

Is this is Bug?

Cura_problem_back.jpg

Cura_problem_prepare.jpg

Cura_problem_sliced.jpg

Make sure you have "Remove all Holes" and "Make Overhangs Printable" turned off.  It looks like Remove All Holes is the culprit, but I'm far away.

In Cura 5.2.1 Remove all Holes gets enabled when you use Spiralize.  If it is linked it will un-enable when Spiralize is turned off, but if the link isn't there then Remove All Holes will persist after Spiralize is turned off.

If that isn't it then use the "File | Save Project" command and post the resulting 3mf file here.

• Like 1

@GregValiant thank you, the answer = "Remove all Holes" was enabled (I did not have 'Make Overhangs Printable' enabled)

Still, its a bug. Given... the same STL works proper in one orientation but not the other... I call that a bug having worked in SW most of my life. And that large debossed area is not a hole, by any definition of the word.

I submitted a bug in Git.

I appreciate the help!

Consider, when the piece is horizontal then that depression in the center area is a shallow hole, but the depressed area on the end is not a hole because there is no end wall at the very end of the part.  Water would spill out.

When it is vertical that center feature does not have a wall to the right and so water would spill out.  In that vertical orientation neither feature qualifies as a hole and so they didn't get filled.

Annoying, but expected behavior rather than a bug.

Posted (edited) · [5.2.1] Sliced model missing details only in one orientation!? Bug?

Sorry to pick it apart (below), I do appreciate the help and the below is not to insult or be mean. IMO this issue a Cura bug in this feature (more so after rereading the Cura definition of this feature) + they need to get rid of the word 'Hole' in the option and describe what it does properly.

The only Cura explanation I could find talks about 'filling cavities inside the model' -- and this is not even close to what it is doing. I found numerous other posts where people have to turn this off or it screws things up. This is a really bad setting and should be off by default, for sure.

<picking apart the definition of hole and how Cura is using it>

If the Cura algorithm used your definition it would have closed the 'top most' depression (which has 3 walls  & bottom but missing one side wall, thus cannot hold water), and not the one in the center of the model (which it did seal off), which can hold water with 4 walls and bottom.

Or if the algorithm was working as you state... all depressions in any surface (in my model) would be a 'hole' and should have been filled in because they all have a bottom, 3 sides, and one other side actually has a hole... so 2 side walls would not hold water.

The true definitions of 'hole' is not determined by orientation and/or number of walls.

Collins dictionary... 

A hole is a hollow space in something solid, with an opening on one side.

A hole is an opening in something that goes right through it.

Edited by Ltek

Yes there are through holes and blind holes and cross holes and intersecting holes.

This is the same block 4 times.  It has both vertical and horizontal through holes.  One of the horizontal holes intersects with one of the vertical holes.  There is a horizontal blind hole and a vertical blind hole that has an intersecting horizontal small hole.  It's for calibrating swiss cheese slicers.

image.thumb.png.f2e6d989912c2d191b5c9147ee4b2861.png

The two back blocks have "Remove all Holes" turn on.  The left front block and the right rear block have Horizontal Hole Expansion set to 1.0.  I tried to add one with "Make Overhangs Printable" enabled but it was too hard to see at this camera angle and these small blocks.

image.thumb.png.4fe5908ca9efc65725d81c313face0d3.png

This is up near the top.

image.thumb.png.3e2dbf3bc35fc30496847aeaf516c206.png

And this is the top.

image.thumb.png.89e78f82876fd7c8c6a38ff3b0c74ce5.png

Whether it's a bug or not isn't my call.  I'm just some random retired fireman from Detroit who happens to have worked with gcode for over 50 years.  But I've gotten to know this software a bit and I'm able to get what I want from it in spite of oddities like this.

What I don't like is that when Spiralize was changed from 4.x to 5.x and now automatically turns on "Remove all Holes" and it is mentioned in the popup help balloons which (as a long time user) I don't pay enough attention to when a new version is released.  But I look at that as a user error because it does state in there that Spiralize affects Remove all holes.  I just missed it the first 20 times around.

• Like 1