wall problems

two-mountains

Posted · wall problems

I'm using cura 5.2.1 with my ender 5 pro and have had problems with the walls not adhering  to each other using pla at a temperature of 210*C, layer height .12-.2, bed temp 50, fan speed 100%, wall flow speed: I have tried between 100 and 120% the last picture was 1wall and 100% infill and the walls don't mesh with the infill

IMG_0764.thumb.JPG.0d39a691e3ca072aa76308360b2efcc1.JPGIMG_0786.thumb.JPG.ef23e807b7a48d74426aa32d40e70900.JPG

IMG_0800.thumb.JPG.9f5a29a4af3d70b1296fb038b02087f0.JPG

Posted · wall problems

You are extruding only about half of what you should be.  Maybe something is off by 2X?  Maybe you told cura you have 2.85mm filament but you are actually using 1.75mm filament?

Posted · wall problems

This is not a good story but I'll relate it for you as it is possible it might apply.

My Ender 3 Pro came with the "Noisy" mainboard.  I bought a new "silent" board from Creality and installed it.  About 2 weeks later my printer started under-extruding after printing for about an hour.

I recalibrated the E-steps and like yours, they went from 93 to 250.  It was alright for about an hour to and hour and a half into a print and then the problem started again.  The bottom line is that the new mainboard had a defective "E" driver chip.  When it warmed up it would go bonkers and the prints would be under-extruded.

After some arguing back and forth Creality replaced the defective board with a new one.

Yes, the stock "E" steps are 93.  Everyone pretty much ends up at 97 or so.  Having to go to over 200 likely indicates a bad stepper driver chip.

• Thanks 1
    • Confused 1

Posted (edited) · wall problems

well the walls are adhering but now it seems to be pulsing on the extrusion, there are visible points moving diagonal along the print connected by stringing  I included the Cura file used on the latest problem i believe that this is now an exageration of the lines seen in the piece to the left due to the increase in steps per mm 

IMG_0827.thumb.JPG.e43c66d74ee416026ac5d658e83eb0f2.JPG

CE5_Part Studio 1 - sight tube.3mf

tia

ps greg that sounds like it could well be as the silent motherboard is part of the upgrade in the 5 pro  over the 5

Edited by two-mountains
    ps

Posted · wall problems

Another thing you could check is the hot end to see if there is a partial clog between the bottom of the bowden tube and the back end of the nozzle.  I found a coathanger laying around that is just the right diameter to push through the hot end.  You can use filament but the hot end necessarily needs to be around 180 to get the nozzle out so you need to move fast.

Having to push the Esteps to over 200 is a bad sign though.  

I looked through all the settings in that Project File you posted and they look fine.  I was hoping to find that Cura was set to volumetric extrusion or maybe the filament diameter was set wrong (as gr5 suggested).  They are both set correctly.  That pretty much leaves us with a problem on the mainboard.

Posted · wall problems

could this be the cause of the spotty print (i don't really know what to call it) gonna try a simple settings benchie to see if it was something i did

Posted · wall problems

i have to use a raft as i damaged the magnetic bed

and I find my filament does better at 205-210* 

otherwise this is all the recommended settings

CE5_3DBenchy.3mf

Posted · wall problems

Your newer photo is still showing classic underextrusion. Greg could be right in that you need a replacement stepper controller board.  Or you may have some other serious hardware issue.

You could try making the board exposed to the air and have a fan blow on it.  Hard.  If that helps even just for the first 3 layers then that is an indication your stepper driver is overheating.  Or you could look at the 4 stepper drivers with a thermal camera or IR temp sensor.

Posted · wall problems

Another test is to fight the extruder.  if you back it up a little so there isn't any pressure in the nozzle and then hold it back with one hand while making it go forward (or just be active) with the controller then a good extruder can push with about 5 pounds of force.  It sounds like yours is only pushing with 1 pound of force.  This just rules out that the problem is related to the hot end.  It could still be many possibilities.

Posted · wall problems

so I did the benchy and it turned out fine so i did a the other print(same file) and resulted in a good print. I quite it early as that piece has some incorrect dimensions but it seems to be good print wise, it also isn't having any of the poorer laminations i was also experiencing before. Will be keeping an eye on it to make sure the motherboard doesn't revert to the problem like in Gregg's case

IMG_0835.thumb.JPG.a2071057c68ded1d5438e87285864fc0.JPG IMG_0836.thumb.JPG.12fde9e5f3e0c3d01978cfccf80fd282.JPG

• Like 1