Cura and pseudo-randomly limited camera distance.

zBeeble

Posted · Cura and pseudo-randomly limited camera distance.

So.  firstly, kudos.  Awesome stuff.  All that.  Little bug.

When I use cura, if I perform certain actions, and not every time, like say "new project" the camera position is reset.  That's fine, but what's not fine is that it will now be limited to how far away I can zoom it.  This would be a noise level issue if it weren't for the move mechanic where the arrowheads that perform the action are long enough that they're often offscreen if I don't tilt the camera to some crazy angle to access them.

Right now, my work around is to restart cura.  I'm running 5.2.1 on windows 10 on two different machines.  One has a GTX 3080, the other has both intel integrated graphics and a quadra 2000 --- and the application is set to prefer the 2000.

1 hour ago, zBeeble said:

urm... so do I need to report this bug there too, or is here sufficient?

As noted by ahoeben, you should report bugs on github.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, zBeeble said:

the arrowheads that perform the action are long enough that they're often offscreen

It should also be possible to grab the axis; you don't have to grab the arrowheads.

Without a video of the bug happening, or a way to make it happen guaranteed, and without many many people experiencing the problem (I have never seen it), I don't think this will get fixed.  Maybe you can get it to happen in a video?  That will provide a huge clue to the developers.

Also cross link:  link from here to the git issue.  Link from the git issue to here.

Are you using scroll wheel to zoom in/out?  Are you using +/- keys (either on main keyboard or number pad - both work) to zoom in/out?

Here is a video.  https://nextcloud.towernet.ca/s/M3SibPJkrz9JMmF

What you're looking at is my laptop.  I don't print every day, so it took me awhile to get back into it and to have the bug manifest.  What you're looking at here is a video taken on my phone of the laptop cura just after I hit CTRL-N to clear the plate.  You'll notice me flicking the zoom in and out --- and the "in" always stops at the same point --- which is uncomfortably close.

Then I exit cura, and restart it.  After restarting it, I load some zombies and try the zoom --- fixed again.  This happens often.  CTRL-N is a common cause, but other cura commands cause it too.

A little more detail.  Cura is often staying running on my laptop.  This morning, I came downstairs and got to starting a new print.  Sometimes, instead of CTRL-N, I select the current item and hit delete.  So after running idle overnight, I selected the item and it jumped to the zoom amount that it then won't pass.

Hrm.  It appears that this happens when I select the part right after printing with the duet printing plugin.

Okay - so I can see that sometimes you can zoom out to see the whole bed and sometimes you can zoom out much farther (if you want).  But I don't see any problems with controlling moving and rotating the part.

The problem is: in that video I'm still spinning the wheel.  That's it for zoom until I restart.  I can't get any further away from the part.

I perfectly understood that.  But since you can see everything, why do you want to zoom out farther?  What is the problem you want fixed. 

I mean I'm being silly but if you want to zoom out enough to see your room, that's not going to happen.  Your room is not modeled in cura.  You mentioned earlier something about not being able to rotate a part but I don't see how that can be a problem if you can see everything.

The point is that it's the same with an item on the plate and annoying.  I was just trying to eliminate the criticism that the model could be at fault.

I still don't understand.  You can zoom in.  You can zoom out enough to see everything.  No problem.  What's the problem?  I still don't understand.  You mentioned something about a bug earlier?  What is the bug in your opinion?  Or is there a feature request?  Why do you want to zoom out more than enough to see everything?  I just don't get it.  Sorry!

As an example, is it a bug that when I use the scroll wheel on this page I can only scroll down until I see the bottom of the page?  I can't scroll down enough so that I am *below* the bottom of the page.  Is that a bug also?  Because pretty much every web page on the internet is like that.  I'm not saying there isn't a bug - just that I don't see the problem.

In cura you have a difference of Zoom between the Orthographic View and the Prespective View .. The Zoom in Perspective Mode is more limited ... Could be the origin of this issue ?

All I can really say in this is that the amount of available zoom changes.  It's quite adequate to start and it's very restrictive (leading me to exit and restart) when this happens.

Are you frustrated because it won't zoom *out* enough to see the whole part or because it won't zoom *in* enough so you can see tiny details?

It seems you never actually said which is the problem.  My understanding is you want to zoom out farther so you can see the part and also the bed and also the printer and also... I don't know what.  That's what I don't understand.  Isn't it good enough to be able to see everything?  Why do you want to see where there is nothing to see?

But maybe you meant you can't zoom in enough?  That you can't see small details?  If I got this backwards then how did we get this communication so bad that I thought you meant the opposite?

I have to say I have asked you for clarification but so far I still don't understand what the problem is.  Your videos show that you indeed can only zoom out a certain amount but it looks fine to me.

After the problem occurs, there is a problem with zooming out --- in other words, a too small maximum distance from the camera to the object.