Filament stuck in the core

JWaringBISW
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted (edited) · Filament stuck in the core

A piece of PVA has snapped off and stuck in the core in extruder 2 of my S5. I've used tweezers but it's not loose enough to pull out. I can't pull the core out because the filament is stopping it. I've also tried doing a 'load' cycle to get it to extrude but it just throws an error saying that the core can't heat to the required temperature.

Any ideas?

IMG_20230316_080635957.jpg

Edited by JWaringBISW

• Solution
    Posted · Filament stuck in the core

This happened to me once or twice.  But it stuck above the top of the print head so after I sliced it the top half was trivial to remove.

So I'd try pushing it town through.  Go to the middle menu on the left and click the top right where it says "PVA" (or alternatively the middle right where it says "BB 0.4".  Then in top right corner click "..." and select "MOVE" (or temp if you had selected BB 0.4).  This should heat it up to melting temp.

Then cut a hand's length of pva and push down in from the top to push the the PVA into the core and out the nozzle. Do this until you think you got it all pushed out.  Then this is an opportunity for a cold pull.

Turn the heat off and continue to apply gentle pressure from above until it stops oozing out the nozzle.  Wait until the temp is about 100C and pull firmly upwards (to avoid bending the rods move the head in any of 4 corners).  If the printer lifts off the table and it's still not pulling out, raise the temp by 10 or 20C, pulling at the same time.  A perfect cold pull will end up with the tip of the filament in the exact shape of the inside of the nozzle including the .4mm tip.

I don't know the "cold" temp for PVA.  I just don't remember.  I done cold pulls with PVA but I have since forgotten the temp.

• Like 1

By the way when it happened to me before I used a big butane flame lighter and an exacto knife.  I heated the knife blade to glowing red hot and used that to carefully slice the filament without cutting the print head anywhere.  I did it in two cuts - one halfway then reheated.  I didn't want the knife stuck in there as well!  I sliced just at the top of the print core.  This is a bad idea for you as then you would have to potentially disassemble the core.  For me I had to do that anyway at the time.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:32 AM, gr5 said:

This happened to me once or twice.  But it stuck above the top of the print head so after I sliced it the top half was trivial to remove.

So I'd try pushing it town through.  Go to the middle menu on the left and click the top right where it says "PVA" (or alternatively the middle right where it says "BB 0.4".  Then in top right corner click "..." and select "MOVE" (or temp if you had selected BB 0.4).  This should heat it up to melting temp.

Then cut a hand's length of pva and push down in from the top to push the the PVA into the core and out the nozzle. Do this until you think you got it all pushed out.  Then this is an opportunity for a cold pull.

Turn the heat off and continue to apply gentle pressure from above until it stops oozing out the nozzle.  Wait until the temp is about 100C and pull firmly upwards (to avoid bending the rods move the head in any of 4 corners).  If the printer lifts off the table and it's still not pulling out, raise the temp by 10 or 20C, pulling at the same time.  A perfect cold pull will end up with the tip of the filament in the exact shape of the inside of the nozzle including the .4mm tip.

I don't know the "cold" temp for PVA.  I just don't remember.  I done cold pulls with PVA but I have since forgotten the temp.

the print core AA0.4 was stuck with material and I couldn't print anything and did not know how to fix the issue. Thanks for the post, I followed what is written in the post and got the issue resolved.  1) unloaded the wire.  2) went to print core AA menu     3) selected 3 dots on the top right corner                4) set temperature to 250C           5) waited for a minute                  6) now loaded back the wire, and 7)  the stuck wire came out just like that.   Thanks to @gr5

• Like 1