Desperate for Advice with Supports

a4x4girl

Posted · Desperate for Advice with Supports

Hi, I'm desperate for some advice with this print. I have over 20 failed attempts and have tried everything I know. I'm still fairly new to 3d printing, so I'm figuring it all out as I go but this one has me stumped. I have used tree supports but they don't support the bottom of the handle so it doesn't print. The regular supports snap under the handle and pin.  I reached out to the creator of the file 2 weeks ago with no response and I don't know who else to ask. I would love any advice you could give me! Thank you in advance! 😄

IMG_4387.jpg.8cc174e8d81211de36bc7b41d0ea3b7a.jpgGrenade.thumb.PNG.ce9d9f0fd83a442dc2568c1e671cfb95.PNG

Hi @a4x4girl,

Welcome in here.

I would say, -to be able to help you, we'll need you to save your model as a project file.

Go to file menu and select save project.. Then share this file with us, -we'll see your object and your printer with the setting you're using in the Cura version used.  This is only possible with the project file.

This is really the best way anyone in here can help with your problem.

Here is a lot of people, and sure someone with the printer you're using.

Good luck.

Torgeir

Thank you so much for this! I did try a tree support but for some reason, the bottom of the handle would not start printing and was just a pile of strings. Can I ask what settings you recommend for the tree supports. The file does not have any when I pull into Cura. 

Hi @a4x4girl,

I'll see you have a Creality Ender 3 variant of 3D printer, so I'll think we call for @GregValiant he is the one can answer anything about this printer. 

Torgeir

Posted (edited) · Desperate for Advice with Supports

Hello to all.

I opened the 3mf file that @Carbon posted and that model has errors.  I repaired it with MS 3D Builder.

The posted model is on the left and the repaired model on the right.  Cura shows the internal errors highlighted in white.

(I ALWAYS check models for errors before putting more time into a project.

image.thumb.png.3f33fcac28395213c81f2e2f4d9656cc.png

Here is the slice.  You can see that the bottom of the lever is supported and there is a support interface to hold it up.

image.thumb.png.fbfe374e3c0d70179a610ebe93e5ba96.png

There are about 73 support settings.  Most are general settings.  In this next screenshot you can see that the pull-pin is supported on the bottom edge.  There is also a support that grows to support the pull-ring when it comes back together further above.

image.thumb.png.eaf06ee80b0c51e3f5acc4d222703d69.png

I would make a couple of changes to the settings here, but they would be personal preference rather than something being "off" with the current settings.

I like a denser Interface when a print starts with a very small patch on top of support.

With 2 walls and lightning support, this model will be very weak and the leaves of the pineapple may fail do to a lack of base material.  The errors in the model are right there at the base of the leaves as well.  That isn't good.

I've printed models like this and the "lever" of the grenade will be very weak and a failure point if someone just picks it up to look at it and squeezes it even a little bit.  I'd go with Grid infill at about 10% density.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 2