Any advices regarding Filament sold on RSPro for Ultimaker S5 ?

Dadkitess

Posted · Any advices regarding Filament sold on RSPro for Ultimaker S5 ?

Hello,

My company is prioritizing RSPro as a supplier and I'm note used to it, I had my local supplier before.

Do you have some advices / recommendations regarding some filament ? I bet there is some Must-Have but don't really know the brands or specificity of some of them.

I'm looking for 2.85mm for our UMS5 :

- A daily filament which would be mechanically and thermally (maybe like 75°C ?) more resistant that the Ultimaker Tough PLA, while being compatible with soluble support. PETG sounds good though it's more about 65-70°C compliant : what's the best PETG on the platform ? Ultimaker one looks good ? Other ideas ? Polycarbonate not compatible with Soluble Support, GF / CF implies CC core which is not ideal for a daily. Your opinion ?

- A new soluble support to replace the very bad Ultimaker PVA : i've read that BVOH is superior for all aspects, and there is a Ultrafuse BVOH or BCN3D BVOH, which one is best ?

- Some specific filament that would help for prototyping in constraints uses like mechanical parts / 120°C+ environment / others constraints. I'm looking at white PC for good mechanical and thermal resistance, maybe some Transparent Nylon if I need some transluscent prints (is it good ?), do you have others ideas that would be interesting ? I've read that Kimya does good specific filament, maybe among them ?

Thank you for any advices / feedback you could bring !

• 3 weeks later...

The hotter the filament the harder it is to print.  The harder it is to keep the part from warping off the print bed, the more it helps to enclose the printer and the more you have to experiment with the fan (some printers are full power at 10% - no different from 100% and only at values lower than 10% does the fan start to slow down).

nGen is super easy to print - like PLA.  Nothing else is as easy as PLA.  nGen can only go up to similar temps as petg - around 70C if I remember right before it becomes a bit soft (like hard clay).

ABS is a good filament, similar to PLA tough and it stays strong up to about 99C.  It's used I believe in car dashboards which often get well above 50C.  It smells horrible when printing and the fumes are probably bad for you.  It takes a while to get good at printing it - easily your first 50 prints will be weak.  You have to have high temps to get good layer bonding (low fan, enclosed printer) but you probably won't realize how bad your layer bonding is on the first 10 prints.  You want to keep the bed well above 99C or the ABS will warp off the glass.  I like 110C but it takes so long to get up to that temp and you should enclose the printer.  But it's worth it.  I hate ABS for it's smell.

Nylon.  I love nylon.  Easier to print than ABS but not a lot easier.  Not stinky either.  I get the natural nylon and then dye it.  It sounds like extra work but Nylon is so easy to dye.  I print a lot of parts in Nylon but because it is more flexible.  Not because of it's temperature abilities (it can handle 100C fine but will be more flexible - but it will spring back to original shape even when at 100C).  It may be too flexible for you but you can get varying stiffness (modulus).

As far as suppliers, it looks like you are in France so post to the french speaking part of this forum.

Thanks for your feedback, I did not know about nGen filament, unfortunately it's not available on RSPro which is my specific demand, otherwise I already have a good set of material with my initial supplier.

I've already asked on the French Forum but not as many answers as here and the question is quite generic 🙂

We purchase RSPro filaments, mainly for prototyping, but they have proven to be good quality filaments to be fair....

We've printed using the "Copper" and "Bronze" (RSPro Filaments) - for Conductive, and Dissipative property testing. These are PLA based but claim to be 80% copper and bronze content......using CC0.6 and CC0.4 nozzles.

We also use Kimya ESD filament which is OK, but a pain to print with.

Another supplier we use, who have proven very helpful is 3DGBIRE ( https://3dgbire.com/ )

If you have a specific question, feel free to ask.....👍

Thank you ! I have not read a single review about RSPro, nothing comes on the internet except... Link to buy the filament on RSPro. It feels weird to have such a big brand selling filament without any findable feedback, so yep, thanks, we might try some !

Kimya seems to be a very good filament fabricant indeed, and we'll most certainly try some specific one as well.

I'm still wondering which daily filament would be the best among the one RSPro is selling... I'd really love to read that Ultimaker PETG is among the best one haha, would be convenient ! PLA Tough already is good by is lacking a few degree celsius resistance unfortunately. I'm often dealing with 60°C air ambient and PLA won't last that much, i've tried. 

I have been 3D Printing for several years even outside of UltiMaker.. 
    I never knew RS had their own filaments.. Though this might be due to me being from the USA?

Judging by the spools it looks like they are made somewhere in the EU regions.
    I would imagine their PETG would print fine with the Cura Generic PETG profiles and following standard recommendations of printing with PETG.

I have used RSPro 1.75mm normal PLA Filament on my Anycubic Kobra at home, and it prints quite nicely. The finish is sometimes a little bit shiny compared to some cheaper brands. However I have no experience of their 2.85mm filament. I can't imagine it prints any different in an S5. I can't comment for their other filaments unfortunately

Thank you both for your feedback 🙂 I'll try one spool along some more recognized brands available on RS.