Is Vase Mode bugged=

TonyCOD
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Is Vase Mode bugged=

Hi @gr5

Thanks, sure I'll agree about that.

However, this issue is all about the "corrupted" stl file, that was converted from an original "good" step file.

This file was also made so it "should" be possible to print it in spiralized mode.

To me "true" spiralized mode, are when "every" relative move on an object have a change in all three axis (x, y and z).

An UM S5 have a resolution of 2.5 micron in the z axis, this is 400 step / mm so this "should" be possible with this printer.

With all this, I tried to figure out what was wrong with the step file. So imported it into Fusion 360 and looking inside of this object and found that all of the inside consist of different parts in here, so I realized this file had to be joined together so this object become one solid part before converting to stl. This was all I had to do and after this the conversion was perfect, except for one thing I've to turn off the preset selected setting in the "Mesh fixer" in cura, cause it created some hole inside..

As I'll have been used a lot of time the last three years, -looking at this new Arachne slicing engine I know there is not much to find about it, however there is one document describing this new cura engine very detailed.

It's here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010448520301007/pdf

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Thanks for the links and inputs. As gr5 said this is a method of modelling for extreme lightweight parts, to be printed with LW-PLA that cant handle retractions. If you stumble upon 3dlabprint and Eclipson vase-mode models you will see much much much more complicated model than this...sadly for now, it looks like the only medicine is to switch to PrusaSlicer 😞

Hi @TonyCOD,

Yes, ColorFabb LW-PLA is just the filament I'm using for wing foils..

The the last file you put in here, the step file, is converted to stl and can be printed by Cura in spiralize mode.

You need just to put in the right parameters for spiralize without bottom, or with bottom ofc. no top.

This is with Cura 4.13.1.

It is here:UM2E_Test_Step_Clean_h_0_1.stl

Have a look into this tread:

Thanks

Torgeir

Posted (edited) · Is Vase Mode bugged=

Hi @TonyCOD,

Have a look at those two pictures, without and with bottom.

Upload this below project file and open the original project with an UM2E+ printer, then you see all the "important" settings.

First my pictures:

Step_Good_No_Bottom.thumb.jpg.ea29f894049f717697797015b47262e4.jpg

Here's the next:

Step_Good_with_Bottom.thumb.jpg.a11904a52eab8565aa9f653453ce5541.jpg

The project file. Check this out and you'll see all the settings.

UM2E_Test_Step_Clean_h_0_15.3mf

(Note; My UM2E+ have a double density of a standard UM2+/E+ -not to be printed with a standard printer)

This note might not be a problem since this is not a gcode generated by me.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added note.

Hi @TonyCOD

Are you using Cura Arachne?

For this kind of printing, -use Cura 4.13.1

Thanks

Torgeir

I like the SmartAvionics fork for Spiralize.  His builds are based on the 4.x version of Cura.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Hi @TonyCOD

What printer are you using?

You can use the printer you want, accepting the settings I'm using on the Ultimaker.

Then fine tune, for filament nozzle etc.. If needed.

Thanks

Torgeir

i opened your project but was still showing the unintended travel moves. by the way i do not want to print that particular model, i was just trying to understand

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Hi @TonyCOD

Are you using Cura Arachne?

For this kind of printing, -use Cura 4.13.1

Thanks

Torgeir

ah ok, i still have the 5.13, rolling back