Support Brim requires Brim enabled and other issue

Adam324

Posted (edited) · Support Brim requires Brim enabled and other issue

Using 5.3.1

To get support brim to work, I have to also enable Brim under build plate adhesion.  I don't want a brim on the object itself though... only under support.  To get around that I set brim width to 0 but it still wants to put a sigle line around the object itself.  It the picture below, there is an inset that needs support that you can't see but you can see that the top has the same inset.  That is why I need support.  I need support brim to help keep support stuck to the bed without needing to set support to be really dense.  I am using tree supports.

It seems like support brim should not depend on the regular brim for objects.  I recall in a previous version they were not linked in this way.  Trying to disable brim though with width doesn't work as a workaround either though.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 104915.jpg

WD9_firefly_q6_hat_clip_top.3mf

Edited by Adam324

Posted · Support Brim requires Brim enabled and other issue

This has been reported over on GitHub so the Cura team is aware of it.  A bad side effect is that when the Support Brim is missing nothing takes it's place and so the support structure doesn't start until the second layer.  Use @Torgeir's workaround and you should get back to printing.

Thanks guys.  That workaround info is really appreciated. Ill have to test that out.  Skirts are usually hard to remove from my bed so I don't normally use them... I wish there was a layer count for skirt and brim.  I would set them to 2 so that if the first layer is too close to the bed and too thin,  the second layer would make sure it is thick enough to remove more easily.

Edited by Adam324

Thanks for all this info guys.  The multi layer brim script is great.  Thanks.  A putty knife doesn't help on soft beds like on the Wanhao D9 if the brim is too thin.  It is a magnetic plate so if the brim is too thin, it is nearly impossible to remove.  I have to print something over top of it to remove it without damaging the magnetic sheet.

In Cura 5.4beta I see the "skirt" can be up to 10 layers high.  For a brim you will need the plugin

13 hours ago, GregValiant said:

In Cura 5.4beta I see the "skirt" can be up to 10 layers high.  For a brim you will need the plugin

Strange I don't see any limit .. after ten the parameters are dispaly in the warning information. But you can go upper.  But main issue there is no "collision check" with the geometry. 

image.thumb.png.f23a3886c6d2ed69764e1d53c3c5a77c.png

• Like 1

Yessir, you are correct.  It was late and something like this had happened.

image.thumb.png.c6f3e5bfc8891ec452bfb98cbe1109e1.png

Looks like this is still a problem in 5.4.0.  Brim set for support still requires brim or skirt for Build Plate Adhesion enabled.   If you still set Skirt or Brim under Build Plate Adhesion to Line Count of 0, it still adds 2 lines of brim or skirt to the object.  I would like to have brim under support only and not around print.

Definitely a bug there.

Also if you then set Skirt Height to 3 or 4,  A brim gets put around the support that is 3 or 4 high, but the false skirt around the object (skirt line count 0 so it shouldn't exist at all) is only 1 layer high.

Edited by Adam324

As I mentioned on another thread, I notice the support prime tower brim isn't as wide as I would expect

I've had a few failure due to the prime tower getting knocked over (Ultimaker Tough PLA and Ultimaker PVA)

Prime Tower Brim in 5.3.1

image.thumb.png.c3f4de2558d5345bf81f474be5ff06d5.png

Edited by LePaul

On 6/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @Adam324,

Just select "Skirt" instead of brim in your profile, then you have the brim under the support and skirt around your model.

Thanks

Torgeir

Thank you so much for this workaround, this was driving me crazy!

On 6/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @Adam324,

Just select "Skirt" instead of brim in your profile, then you have the brim under the support and skirt around your model.

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi,

On Cura 5.4 here. I too need a skirt around my print but a brim around the tree supports. If I enable skirt as adhesion then "enable support brim" actually does not enable a brim around the support. Is this a bug or "as designed":  

image.thumb.png.8f9038add484d1d048f67980393caaa3.png

Either way, how do I configure Cura in such a way that I get a brim around the tree supports without having to have a brim around my print?

2 hours ago, ErikZzz said:

Hi,

On Cura 5.4 here. I too need a skirt around my print but a brim around the tree supports. If I enable skirt as adhesion then "enable support brim" actually does not enable a brim around the support. Is this a bug or "as designed":  

image.thumb.png.8f9038add484d1d048f67980393caaa3.png

Either way, how do I configure Cura in such a way that I get a brim around the tree supports without having to have a brim around my print?

Yes, this is what many of us have reported.  Hopefully they fix this soon.  

After numerous failures I've had to go back to 5.3.1 until this is sorted out.

• Like 1

If "Brim" is enabled, and the brim distance is enough to keep the brim from adhering to the model that will work and the Support Brim will be correct.

This is with "Bed Adhesion" set to "None".  The Support Brim should make all those structures 4mm wider.  When the Support goes down on the next layer without the brim below it, it will often fail due to a lack of adhesion.

image.thumb.png.20ab9dfb5e3fad79f459bb9f6a0f22b0.png

This is with Bed Adhesion set to Brim and the Brim Distance set to 2.0.  That makes it into a glorified skirt.  It does make the Support Brim form correctly.

image.thumb.png.8b68ee4e0818d27249040eaf026ff100.png

Edited by GregValiant