UltiMaker Cura 5.4 stable released

ArunC

Posted · UltiMaker Cura 5.4 stable released

Hey @Gero,

There will indeed be an update on the wall ordering, one contributed by the community.
You can find it here.

If you don't feel like making a profile to change just this setting, you can change the default for your set-up. 

The default for the Wall ordering setting lives in ultimaker.def.json and is called inset_direction.
If you believe it should always be the other way around you can update the default to

"inset_direction": { "value": "'inside_out'" },

But be sure to make a backup if you change this because it might break some upgrade flows in the future if you install a new version of Cura and I don't want you to lose your settings.  You can read more about them here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667412704080

19 minutes ago, MariMakes said:

Hey @Gero,

There will indeed be an update on the wall ordering, one contributed by the community.
    You can find it here.

If you don't feel like making a profile to change just this setting, you can change the default for your set-up. 

The default for the Wall ordering setting lives in ultimaker.def.json and is called inset_direction.
    If you believe it should always be the other way around you can update the default to

"inset_direction": { "value": "'inside_out'" },

But be sure to make a backup if you change this because it might break some upgrade flows in the future if you install a new version of Cura and I don't want you to lose your settings.  You can read more about them here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667412704080

Thanks for the answer!
    However, I'm afraid that simply changing the basic setting won't help too much. 
    Part of the problem is that all the inner walls are printed first, one after the other, and finally all the outer ones. On a simple sheet with multiple holes, this results in each hole being approached multiple times. Since here, too, a re-retraction is first carried out for each outer wall, the typical under-extrusion error pattern occurs, since here the complete material flow is not achieved directly after the retraction. 

To prevent this, the walls of a closed geomembrane must be printed one behind the other, as in the earlier cura 4 versions, so that a uniform material flow is finally present at the nozzle for the outer wall. 

Posted (edited) · UltiMaker Cura 5.4 stable released

@Gero: Read the first line of the @MariMakes answer : "There will indeed be an update on the wall ordering, one contributed by the community. You can find it here."  

The answer is here 😁

image.thumb.png.ec580ba0f99ca3cd78aec57c8b56aee1.png

For the more adventurous, version 5.5 Alpha also solves this issue.

Edited by Cuq

2 hours ago, Cuq said:

@Gero: Read the first line of the @MariMakes answer : "There will indeed be an update on the wall ordering, one contributed by the community. You can find it here."  

The answer is here 😁

image.thumb.png.ec580ba0f99ca3cd78aec57c8b56aee1.png

For the more adventurous, version 5.5 Alpha also solves this issue.

All the better if both are fixed in the upcoming version. 
    I had understood the answer in fact only on the order. On the Github page seems to be addressed in indeed also the togetherness of the walls. 

However, another alpha has not yet been released by Ultimaker. 

Releases · Ultimaker/Cura (github.com)

Posted (edited) · UltiMaker Cura 5.4 stable released

If - like me - you cannot get the 5.5 alpha to slice anything, you may want to try disabling the new CuraEngineGradualFlow plugin.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Would be also nice to update the Change_log.txt  file ( Although I already have an idea about the update 😉 )

Hey @Cuq and @Aldo, I was under the impression that the nightlies were hidden until we had a changelog, instructions, and a theme in place. Must have been a mistake. Let me doublecheck with the team. 

• Like 2

Good detectives dig deep.

Possible bugs...

I have been using 5.4 for a while, and have not had any problems with the Ender 3 V2 printing PLA. But I have a surprise today: I attempt to print the following frame (3mm wide struts):

image.png.5261046c1b73aa27f632b834d804d06c.png

But I end up having a filled part. I checked the preview after slicing and it does show a filled part !

image.png.846bb00b956a8d8cab61cfb56ab2283b.png

What could be the problem?

Either a bad surface(s) in the model, or in the Mesh Fixes section "Remove All Holes" is enabled.