Auto-switch to other extruder when material runs out

Go to solution Solved by Dustin,

Posted · Auto-switch to other extruder when material runs out

Hi all,

I´m asking myself if it is possible with UMS3 to automatically switch extruder when filament is running out.

The other extruder must have same material, that is clear.

But is there the possibility?

Or is it even done automatically? (I didn´t try so far)

Regards

22 hours ago, Dustin said:

Not supported.

Thx for your feedback!

Any way to open a feature request on this?
    I think that would increase ease of use and usability in general quite much.

I'm not certain but I think this is supported with the material station and the S5 combination.  But the S3 is smaller and I don't think it fits on the material station.

14 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I'm not certain but I think this is supported with the material station and the S5 combination.  But the S3 is smaller and I don't think it fits on the material station.

A material station would be overkill for this one feature of continuing the print in case one feeder runs out of filament.
    I think it should be easy to be implemented in SW.

2 hours ago, anacardium said:

I think it should be easy to be implemented in SW.

Oh cool a software developer here. The sources are on the printer. You can request the sources for the core from Ultimaker.

You would have to implement the end to end. The offset of the second printhead is currently set in Cura/GCode.

To use the second printhead in consideration of the offset requires a lot of poop and testing.

Adjustments in Griffin -Python- to force the printhead change.

Adjustments in Marlin -C- to set the offset of the printhead dynamically.

Please let me know when you are ready. Maybe you can find some testers

greetings

• Laugh 1