Virtual print area??

parabolic

Posted · Virtual print area??

Daid,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a virtual print bed area. As I have entered the max length width and heights of my printer, is there a way to tell it how big the actual printable surface area is and where center x&y is?

Thanks!

Wait, did you put in how big your entire printer is? As in, the outer dimensions of the frame and whatnot? You're supposed to put it your actual printable area, that's what the setting is for.

Wait, did you put in how big your entire printer is? As in, the outer dimensions of the frame and whatnot? You're supposed to put it your actual printable area, that's what the setting is for.

LOL - no I didnt. but My X and Y zero off the bed (how I like it for a dump area), so theres like 10 or so mm until it reaches the "printable area". Hence if I could have that AND set bed dimensions, that would be great. Just something to indicate bed center.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense :D I was sitting there thinking "Is this guy for real?". Sorry about that :p

Yeah, I know that I could set both my x and y endstops closer in to a 0,0 point on the buildplate, but I kinda like having the "off bed" area figured in to assist in the dump and "cut" of the seeping plastic from the extruder when it starts to print..

Could you do it with the start code perhaps? Have it home as usual (off the bed like you want), prime, then move the head into the print area and set that position as home?

Could you do it with the start code perhaps? Have it home as usual (off the bed like you want), prime, then move the head into the print area and set that position as home?

Thats a great Idea!! - now only if I knew how to do that in G code...Im still rusty with that end.

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is a good resource:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

I'm thinking these in particular would be of interest in your case:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G1:_Controlled_move

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G92:_Set_Position

G0 X10 Y10 ; goes to position 10,10

G92 X0 Y0 ; sets current position to be 0,0