Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle web interface error

Frootmig

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle web interface error

Hi,

We have an Ultimaker S5 on firmware V8.2.1, it is connected to our ehternet network and assigned an IP address by DHCP which is fixed using a DHCP reservation, until a few days ago the machine was talking fine with Cura and I was able to browse to the IP address to view the camera, but since last Tuesday we have not been able to get a reliable connection over the network to Cura and when I browse to the Management Console from the web interface I am unable to view the camera and I only get a "502 Bad Gateway" error, I am able to browse to the other pages such as the logs, API and temerature graphs, I assume this error is probably the cause of the error connecting to Cura as well.

Has anyone seen an error like this before, I have searched though the help docs and community and I can see plenty with network connection issues but not this specific error, any help would be gratefully accepted

Many thanks

Frootmig

Ultimaker 502.JPG

Did you upgrade firmware recently?  I know some features were removed with version 8.X, but I don't see anything in the release notes about the camera feed.  Can you get to the computer's web page at all?

The camera used to be on port 8080 (instead of the default html page of 80).  Maybe your network has that port blocked?

502 is not that common of an error.  I'm wondering if you are going through a proxy server or if the error comes directly from the printer.  I would hit the F12 key in your browser and then go to the network tab and then do and F5 (refresh page) and click the line that gets the 502 and look at the headers.  Often the headers have MUCH more information.

I would also turn off the printer to see if you get a different error.  If you get 502 with the printer on and 504 (or other #) with the printer off then the problem is probably with the printer and not your network.

Camera is still available in 8.X but you need to turn off the firewall.  There is a firewall feature on the printer but it blocks camera feed.  Could that be it?

Also the way you see the camera *might* be different.  Instead of using that 8080 URL, go to the printer from within cura and there is this blue circle with a camera icon in it.  Click that to see the camera "live" (one image very 10 seconds or so?).

On 9/1/2023 at 6:42 PM, gr5 said:

Camera is still available in 8.X but you need to turn off the firewall.  There is a firewall feature on the printer but it blocks camera feed.  Could that be it?

Also the way you see the camera *might* be different.  Instead of using that 8080 URL, go to the printer from within cura and there is this blue circle with a camera icon in it.  Click that to see the camera "live" (one image very 10 seconds or so?).

Thanks for the reply gr5, I havce checked all of the network settings and they have not changed, the 502 error is generally an issue with the sending server, the firmware was updated to the latest 8.2.1 before it arried and was working fine, I think the camera issue is directly related to the issue of the connection to Cura dropping after a few seconds, I cannot keep the connection from the S5 to Cura stable for more than a few seconds. The conneciton between the S5 and the PC with Cura installed is a direct network connection on the same network subnet with nothing inbetween to block any ports. I am at a bit of a loss at the moment, I am thinking of trying a backgrade to an earlier firmware version to see if that helps.

Hi,

we have almost the same problem after firmware upgrade to 8.2.1

I try to open every port in the router but printer is always offline. The only difference with Frootmig is we see the camera but when click on management console we have same error " 502 bad gateway".

Please help us to resolve

Thanks

Hi all,

I too have the same issue, 502 Bad Gateway.  This is the older version of the S5 (~2019) and these errors started surfacing right after I upgraded to the firmware 8.2.1 version.

I'm sensing I'll have to revert to an earlier version of the firmware (if possible) as well if I want to be able to restore wifi printing again until someone from Ultimaker fixes this issue.  If I had to go back to USB printing, this machine would drop significantly in value for my team and our workflow.  Is there a good online tutorial for how to revert back to an older version of the FW?  Is this even possible?

I hope someone can help us resolve this soon!  If you have specific questions for me and my Ultimaker setup, let me know and I'll do my best to support our debugging process.

Thanks!

~CDM

Other potentially relevant details about my setup:

1. I have a more modern S5 and the FW update 8.2.1 seemed to take and I'm able to send wifi prints via Cura w/out issue.

2. I AM able to see the temperature graph if I navigate directly to the IP address assigned to the machine, but I can't access the management console nor printer feed > both yield "502 Bad Gateway"

3. There seem to be no other obvious issues with our network settings, wifi, etc that I'm aware of.  I'm not a wifi admin so I can't tweak those settings easily.  Seems like a product flaw if you need your IT admin to perform specialized setups if a standard / default / most common network setup is being used.

4. It will show a blue connected cloud in the Ultimaker Cura app for about 1 second, then it disappears.  

230918-CDM: As an update, you CAN revert back to an older version of the S5 firmware.  Here's the steps I took to kickstart that process:

1. Go to the S5 touch screen and click maintenance

2. Go to the firmware section

3. For the Firmware "channel" subscribe to the STABLE version rather than the LATEST version

4. Once you select the STABLE version, the machine will ask you to start installation

I will respond here shortly whether or not this strategy worked to resolve the 502 Bad Gateway and severed wifi printing issues via Cura.   

Hope that helps some of you get back to printing until Ultimaker can fix the firmware bug.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cmceezee said:

230918-CDM: As an update, you CAN revert back to an older version of the S5 firmware.  Here's the steps I took to kickstart that process:

1. Go to the S5 touch screen and click maintenance

2. Go to the firmware section

3. For the Firmware "channel" subscribe to the STABLE version rather than the LATEST version

4. Once you select the STABLE version, the machine will ask you to start installation

I will respond here shortly whether or not this strategy worked to resolve the 502 Bad Gateway and severed wifi printing issues via Cura.   

Hope that helps some of you get back to printing until Ultimaker can fix the firmware bug.

After upgrading to 8.2.1 of our S5 (wire connected) the printer was constantly disconnecting a few seconds after (manually) connecting. Tnx for the information, after downgrading to 8.2.0 everything is working normally again, so no more problems with disconnections.

• Like 2

There are also more difficult ways to downgrade your firmware if you can't do it the "normal" way which involve opening up the bottom of the printer and a uSD card.  So keep that in mind if you ever need to downgrade on some future date and it won't let you do it the "normal" way.

• Like 1

If you have weird network errors, always try a digital factory reset.  Even though it's not obvious, this fixes all manner of network related issues and is probably easier than upgrading or downgrading firmware version.

I'm guessing the network downgrade did something that is also done in the DF reset and that's what fixed the issue.

What version of firmware did you have before upgrading to 8.2.1?

Getting 502 error also. 

If you are just after the web cam or snapsnots. 

Go to Camera section on API Swagger menu,  enter 0 as the camera and it will return the URL that gives you a live camera feed or a snap shot image straight to your browser.