somewhat URGENT - Support inner cavities

Nicolinux

Posted · somewhat URGENT - Support inner cavities

Hi,

Sorry for the URGENT tag, but I'd need to print this birthday present and I am running out of time :)

Here is the object in question:

Yoda

I'd like to print the model without infill, but there is a big inner cavity that would be printed without anything beneath it. What to do? Printing with infill increases the printing time and I'd like to avoid it. Thanks!

Here is an animated gif (click on the thumbnail to play):

animate you must

(by the way, I used "licecap" to create an animated gif from a portion of my screen)

Would you be ok with a little hole in the bottom of the print? What I'm thinking is that you could cut out a cylinder that would cause cura to print perimeter lines going up to the cavity.

Good idea, thanks.

I think I'd be fine with it. I'd need to design the cutout in such a way that the flower soil that goes inside yoda's head won't fall through to the bottom.

My thinking was to stop the cylinder just shy of the surface of the hole so that you basically get a ring formed support for the bottom part of the hole to build from. You could branch out more cylinders at an angle higher up if you need more support.

edit: Dammit, you replied while I was deleting that comment :p

Similar to what Robert said, you can try drilling tiny holes through the base of the model - so small that they actually close up when printed, but Cura will probably still print the walls and so form support.

Oh no, I can't do that. I need to use the fix horribly (type-a) option in order to fix some issues with the eyes that I couldn't handle otherwise. This in turn eats up all internal structures. So the cutout would need to go through the bottom/top.

Hm, need to think of an alternative.

If I remember the yoda STL correctly, the eye problems are a result of messy boolean operations. The best solution (and usually the only one) is to load the stl in a poly-modeler such as 3dsmax and fix it by hand.