Strange Patterns

Luky

Posted (edited) · Strange Patterns

Hi,

there are strange patterns on my prints and i cant fugure out whats going wrong. its supposted to be smoth.

Prit.jpg

I'm using a Ultimaker 2 Extended +.

i've been printing abs for quite some years now and had exelent results.

allready tryed changing the filament in case of moisture.

also tryed a diffenent manifacturer. nothing helps. the printer wasn't in use for some months. i was wondering if sombody might have an idea what i could try?

thanks a lot!

Lukas

Edited by Luky

Posted · Strange Patterns

That looks like underextrusion.  I've seen underextrusion look like that thousands of times but the picture is quite small so I could be wrong (e.g. there is a feature in cura to make the skin look similar to that but I don't think that's what I'm seeing).  If you could post a larger picture it would help.

There are dozens of causes of underextrusion on a UM2.  Here are some of them.  If you provide more information, we can provide more help: https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/11478-extrusion-problem/?do=findComment&comment=124816

This looks a LOT Like underextrusion on the shell but it looks fine on the top layer.  Which is very contradictory.  Maybe your top layer speed is much slower than your skin speed.  Please post the project file.  So go to menu "file" "save project as" and post the resulting file here please.  It will contain your model, settings, machine settings, and so on.

I can actually think of about 4 different ways this could happen so if you could just post the project file...

8 hours ago, gr5 said:

This looks a LOT Like underextrusion on the shell but it looks fine on the top layer.  Which is very contradictory.  Maybe your top layer speed is much slower than your skin speed.  Please post the project file.  So go to menu "file" "save project as" and post the resulting file here please.  It will contain your model, settings, machine settings, and so on.

Hi, thanks a lot!

so far nothing i tryed to change (spring tensiin etc.)  on the hardware worked.

here is the file i used.

UM2E_Körper.gcode

That's not the project file.  Could you post the project file?

Also what version of Cura did you use?  5.4 has some bugs related to the skin (but this doesn't look like the bug) so I want to make sure I'm testing on the same version of cura.

Did you check the "fuzzy skin"?

Looking at the image - I'm thinking maybe this is overextrusion.  I'm thinking maybe your extruder is extruding at 2X.

Did you change the firmware or feeder stepper recently?

Please check that your firmware and hardware match.  The 2+ has a white feeder.  The 2 has a black feeder.  The feeder speeds are different by I think 2X (the steps/mm setting).  Check the firmware by going through the menus and somewhere in there you can see the version.  See if it has a "+" or "plus" in the firmware version.  Maybe photograph the feeder for me so I can see which feeder you have.

Oh 🙃 do you mean the stl?

I'm using Cura 5.3.1

Yes, i did. check, but it wasn't checked.

I did update the firmware. the feeder is white. and i got a +. it was a automatic update.

i'll load up a photo later. thanks so far!

Körper.stl

Nope.  Not the stl.  The project file.  Please reread my posts.  Well the one that starts out with "This looks".

I'm thinking maybe you updated the firmware to the wrong version.  Did you check on the printer like I suggested?  What is the firmware version as shown on the printer?

Sorry for that. that shuld be it right?

UM2E_Körper.3mf

Here are some more pics and i check for the Firmware now.

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

Not quite shure if i got it right, but i couldn't finde anything else. within cura i also couldn't find any information which firmware in on my printer. if thats the right one, it looks like the update didn't work at all. i'm a bit confused, because there is no + or plus what so ever. so i might be on the wrong track here?

IMG_1479.jpg

Yeah I think we found the problem.  I'm not 100% sure.  So hook up a USB cable from your computer to your printer and in Cura tell it to update the firmware.  You should see things happening on this display in the photo above.  I think maybe it goes black.

During the update I think there is a progress bar.

It's been many years but I think it takes somewhere between 20 seconds and 100 seconds to update the firmware.

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337917778

Someone said that if you forget to upgrade the firmware after you do the "plus" upgrade, the feeder will rotate backwards.

Just tryed it, but it seams that it doen't work. it tkes 2 sec. to finish and nothing changes at the desplay.

Did you ever have an issue with a backwards moving feeder?

screenshot.jpg

no, not that i remamber

truly 2 seconds?  Or more like 5 seconds?

Did the printer go black or flash or reboot or anything during or after the progress bar?

Oh.  After it does the firmware update, try "reset to factory defaults".  This will reset the steps/mm for the extruder to the proper value.  It will also (unfortunately) make you level the bed again.