Strange Patterns

Luky

Posted · Strange Patterns

So I am split between 2 theories:

1) Extruder is doing wrong steps/mm and is off by 2X.  This is quite believable since 2X changes in steps are a thing that has happened before but I'm thinking this is unlikely because if you are still on UM2 (non plus) firmware then I would expect the feeder to rotate backwards but maybe you just need the "reset to factory defaults" because sometimes it takes "old" parameters from previous versions of software (like steps/mm) and "reset to factory defaults" tells it not to do that and just set things up fresh.

2) 0.06 layer height and 0.25 nozzle is just too insane.  I'm thinking you just can't get good results with those crazy values.  And on top of that, your part has no fine features.  So using a 0.8mm nozzle and 0.3 layer height will give you pretty gootd precision (but it might not look as nice?) and will print much faster.  Right now your print is 20 hours which is... A LONG TIME!  With a 0.6 nozzle, only 20% infill, and 0.2 layer height (I'd probably even go for 0.8 nozzle) it will print in 3.5 hours.

However you might not like how the quality is of the surface.  Still it will be better than what you have now.

9 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Did the printer go black or flash or reboot or anything during or after the progress bar?

no, didn't do anything. also its stil showing the old numbers.

9 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Oh.  After it does the firmware update, try "reset to factory defaults".  This will reset the steps/mm for the extruder to the proper value.  It will also (unfortunately) make you level the bed again.

i'll try that next.

4 minutes ago, gr5 said:

So I am split between 2 theories:

1) Extruder is doing wrong steps/mm and is off by 2X.  This is quite believable since 2X changes in steps are a thing that has happened before but I'm thinking this is unlikely because if you are still on UM2 (non plus) firmware then I would expect the feeder to rotate backwards but maybe you just need the "reset to factory defaults" because sometimes it takes "old" parameters from previous versions of software (like steps/mm) and "reset to factory defaults" tells it not to do that and just set things up fresh.

2) 0.06 layer height and 0.25 nozzle is just too insane.  I'm thinking you just can't get good results with those crazy values.  And on top of that, your part has no fine features.  So using a 0.8mm nozzle and 0.3 layer height will give you pretty gootd precision (but it might not look as nice?) and will print much faster.  Right now your print is 20 hours which is... A LONG TIME!  With a 0.6 nozzle, only 20% infill, and 0.2 layer height (I'd probably even go for 0.8 nozzle) it will print in 3.5 hours.

However you might not like how the quality is of the surface.  Still it will be better than what you have now.

ok, yeah i need a nice surface, not spacificly on this one, but most of my stuff. but i'll try and play with the layer thiknes. havn't thout abaout it. i also thing 0.06 is "newer" than my printer.. i vagely remamber it to be 0.2mm layer height in the older cura versions, could that be? 

I'm definitely leaning to theory 2.   You did finally post the project file by the way - that was VERY educational.  I am looking at your prints with all new ideas now.  What I thought was overextrusion was just typical 0.25mm nozzle being so small I couldn't see the lines in the top surface.  Which is what people like about that nozzle of course.

If it's theory 2 then try simply doing thicker layer height.  Maybe 0.1 or even 0.15 which matches the resolution of the 0.25 nozzle more closely - although that's kind of irrelevant.

I'm thinking that it is extruding so slowly that the feeder is barely moving and so it comes out it bits and spurts.  Sort of.  This is a bad explanation of a complicated process where the filament sometimes sticks to the part and sometimes pulls out too much out of the nozzle and you get that fuzzy surface.

Why are you doing 0.25mm nozzle?  Any reason?  Can you go to 0.4?  0.25 nozzle is quite tricky.  I've got some pretty amazing prints out of it but... it's not trivial.  I had to play with so many things.

If you want the top most surfaces (the top most and the flat surface inside the round hole) to be extra smooth then you can try out a feature called "ironing" and with a 0.4mm nozzle.  Ironing needs some experimenting.  For example the guy who invented it (neotko on this forum) likes to do about a 10% flow rate during the ironing phase.  He is a world expert on ironing because he prints and sells hundreds of hotel-room-key-tag things with the hotel and room number on them.  And they need to be very flat.

So if you decide to use this feature, try it on a small 1cm cube and try different settings.

9 minutes ago, gr5 said:

If you want the top most surfaces (the top most and the flat surface inside the round hole) to be extra smooth then you can try out a feature called "ironing" and with a 0.4mm nozzle.  Ironing needs some experimenting.  For example the guy who invented it (neotko on this forum) likes to do about a 10% flow rate during the ironing phase.  He is a world expert on ironing because he prints and sells hundreds of hotel-room-key-tag things with the hotel and room number on them.  And they need to be very flat.

So if you decide to use this feature, try it on a small 1cm cube and try different settings.

that sounds very intresting, thank you.

i'll try a thicker layer hight now, i got a good fieling about it 😅 we'll see.

i let you know. thanks a lot! that was very helpfull.

Hi, i did the set back and changed the nozzle to a new 0.25. also changed the layer hight so 0.2mm and now it's printing just fine.

I found that i must have changed the nozzle to a bigger one at some point. can't remamber when and why, but that was a stupid mistake and propably the problem. 🙄 like i sad i havn't been printing for quite a while.

thanks a lot for your help and time! much apreciated!!!

All the best.  

Sounds great but I rarely use the .25.  It clogs easy.  It's tricky.  But mostly it prints slow.  Real slow.  4X slower than the 0.4.  But of course you have to change the slicing settings to get a reasonable speed from the .4 nozzle (wider line width, thicker layers).

Your part has no detail (no lettering, no ridges, no small holes, no little bumps, no gridwork) and so I'm not sure why you would want to use a .25.  I mean it will probably look a little nicer so there is that.