Ultimaten S5 do not use standby temperature

zungara

Posted · Ultimaten S5 do not use standby temperature

standby Temperatur is set to 100 degree for nozzle 1. Shortly the temperature goes down, than temperature it goes to print temperature and that to 205 degrees. Second Nozzle everything ist fine (green)

Cura Version 5.5

Mac OS 14.1

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-26 um 18.32.24.png

That's the print file.  Use the "File | Save Project" command to generate a 3mf Project File.

Starting around layer 234 the T0 standby temperature starts to drop.  By layer 240 it is down around 110° and then drops to 100°.

By layer 248 nozzle 2 (T1) is done working and T0 heats up from 100 and is used for the rest of the print.

Yes, the standby temperatures are bouncing around.  Maybe @gr5 can comment on what is going on there.

In the graph I think it just doesn't have enough time to cool.  The green graph gets down to the correct temperature because it has more time to do so while the other nozzle is printing.

I haven't saved the project. I can only create a new one or look to the cloud and reprint.

I created a new one, but I have not printed it. So I do not know if it will really have the same behavior, but I think so.

In other projects the standby behavior look similar. Very shortly the temperature for nozzle 1 goes down and than rise up again. And with this model there should be a long time to cool. The support for nozzle 2 is a circle with about 50mm diameter. 

UMS5_Körper1.3mf

Posted (edited) · Ultimaten S5 do not use standby temperature
    • The BASF material has the Standby Temperature at 100°.
      • Within the printer settings the "Heat Up Speed" is 1.4°/sec and the "Cool Down Speed" is 0.9°/sec.
    • The White Breakaway material Standby Temperature is 125°.
      • Within the printer settings the "Heat Up Speed" is 1.6°/sec and the "Cool Down Speed" is 0.75°/sec.

(For many materials the defaults for both the Heat Up and Cool Down is 2°/sec.)

So as @gr5 surmised, it's a question of the layer time and whether or not the particular nozzle can react given the settings for how fast they can cool down and then heat up again.  The setting "Minimal Time at Standby Temperature" of 15 seconds is likely coming into play as well.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi, look for example layer 75. It will take more than 30sec. a layer. So you think to rise Standby Temperatur to e.g. 140 degree will solve the behavior?

Either I'm missing something, or @zungara is missing something.  I don't see the problem.  In the one example with the graph there just wasn't very many seconds for the left core to cool down.  Sure maybe in layer 75 it will have time to cool all the way so why not show that layer?

The goal isn't to wait for it to cool down all the way - the goal is that while the other nozzle is printing, we should turn off heat to the idle nozzle as long as we can, yet still get back up to temperature again before it turns into the active nozzle.  Maybe I'm not being clear?

It sounds like you really want the printer to sit idle for a few minutes doing nothing such that the "inactive" nozzle can cool all the way to the standby temperature?

Or are you complaining that the "goal" (idle) temperture is too low?  What does it matter if it can't cool fast enough anyway?  Either way it turns off all power to the idle nozzle until the nozzle is about to be needed again or until it reaches the idle temperature.

• Like 2

Ok perhaps I have a wrong understanding. First I have to say that the part is printed and in general useable. So from my side it make no sense to print it again.

My problem was that when I use pet it oozes a lot and there come same ugly artefacts. So I try to reduce  printing temperatur of pet and remove big artefacts manually while printing. At this time I watch at the  temperature and was surprised that while printing support the temperature goes down and while printing pet the was only a very short peek down and a long time printing support while pet will hold on height temperature. Looking to my settings I found no error…so I make a photo from the temperature graph as example. I cannot explain why there is only a short peek down independent from printing time of support. 

• Like 1

Maybe you could show a photo of the "ugly artefacts"

Which BASF product?  Glass filled?

I've printed a few and never messed with standby temps.

But I also didn't use Breakaway for supports

Let us know!

normal PET