I feel like I am about to lose my mind over the Ender 3 v2.

Thomas621
Go to solution Solved by Thomas621,

Posted · I feel like I am about to lose my mind over the Ender 3 v2.

I got my Ender 3 v2 about a year ago, and it worked great but the manual leveling got tedious so I invested in the touch sensor.  However off and on for the past month it decides when it wants to work and when it doesn't. The only time it worked correctly was two days ago and it printed spectacularly, but now all of a sudden (when I literally did not change anything mind you) it wont follow the g-code I have added to the start g-code in my slicer. It wont level it wont follow a mesh it wont do anything it did two days a go and I don't know why. Here is the g-code I am using:

G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; extruder relative mode
M104 S150 ; set temporary nozzle temp to prevent oozing during homing
M140 S{first_layer_bed_temperature[0]} ; set final bed temp
G4 S30 ; allow partial nozzle warmup
G28 ;
G29 A ; activate leveling
G29 S0 ; Save mesh values to slot 0
G29 L0 ; Load mesh from slot 0
G29 J2 ; tilt mesh
G1 Z50 F240
G1 X2.0 Y10 F3000
M104 S{first_layer_temperature[0]} ; set final nozzle temp
M190 S{first_layer_bed_temperature[0]} ; wait for bed temp to stabilize
M109 S{first_layer_temperature[0]} ; wait for nozzle temp to stabilize
G1 Z0.28 F240
G92 E0
G1 X2.0 Y140 E10 F1500 ; prime the nozzle
G1 X2.3 Y140 F5000
G92 E0
G1 X2.3 Y10 E10 F1200 ; prime the nozzle
G92 E0

I am using the Prusa slicer since the Cura slicer also just does not want to comply with me, I have literally never been able to get it to successfully print when slicing with Cura, but that is another problem.  I am coming to this forum because I have no idea what else to do. There has not been a single consistent time frame where something hasn't gone wrong with the printer and I just want it to work. So if anyone knows of anything I can do your help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited) · I feel like I am about to lose my mind over the Ender 3 v2.

I've only used the Ender-3 v2 Neo which has the CR-Touch sensor built in so I don't know what levelling system the firmware uses when you add a sensor, but I'm going to assume UBL based on the commands you're using.

M104 S150 ; set temporary nozzle temp to prevent oozing during homing
    M140 S{first_layer_bed_temperature[0]} ; set final bed temp < it's better to level the bed at the temperature it'll be for printing, so you should use an M190
    G4 S30 ; allow partial nozzle warmup < why wait? don't need nozzle to be hot for levelling
    G28 ;
    G29 A ; activate leveling < only turns on levelling, doesn't actually do the levelling process
    G29 S0 ; Save mesh values to slot 0 < you don't have a mesh to save
    G29 L0 ; Load mesh from slot 0 < why save then load a mesh you don't even have?
    G29 J2 ; tilt mesh < will use 4 measurements to calculate the bed's plane (if it's at an angle) but not actually measure for uneven points on the bed
    G1 Z50 F240 < technically G1 is valid, but convention is to use G0 for travel moves... also that move will take 12.5 seconds, plus what are you trying to avoid on the bed that's 5cm high?
    G1 X2.0 Y10 F3000 < see first part of above
    M104 S{first_layer_temperature[0]} ; set final nozzle temp
    M190 S{first_layer_bed_temperature[0]} ; wait for bed temp to stabilize
    M109 S{first_layer_temperature[0]} ; wait for nozzle temp to stabilize
    G1 Z0.28 F240 < see above about using G0 for travel moves
    G92 E0 < not only have you not extruded yet, you never need to reset the extruder value if you're using relative extrusion
    G1 X2.0 Y140 E10 F1500 ; prime the nozzle < that isn't priming the nozzle, that's laying down the first part of a nose wipe, which yes makes sure the nozzle is full but also gets rid of any crap that might have accumulated in the system
    G1 X2.3 Y140 F5000 ; < another travel move that should be a G0
    G92 E0 < see above, even though this time you have extruded
    G1 X2.3 Y10 E10 F1200 ; prime the nozzle < see above, except second part of nose wipe
    G92 E0 < see above

Also, either make sure your slicer is set to use relative extrusion mode or stick an M82 at the end of your startup code to set the extruder to absolute.

Anyway, I would change yours to the following, bearing in mind that I don't actually know how the firmware responds to levelling commands when you've added a touch sensor as opposed to a built in one, and assuming you still want to use relative extrusion:

Edit: As @GregValiant pointed out below, Prusa uses different replacement patterns and I forgot to look for those. I've updated my code below accordingly.

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; heat up bed for levelling

M104 S150 ; get the nozzle going, it'll heat up plenty while you're homing and levelling
    G28 ; home all axes
    M420 S1 ; enable bed levelling
    G29 ; run automatic bed levelling, printer should choose best method
    G0 Z5 F240 ; move up a bit to be extra sure we won't hit the bed
    G0 X2.0 Y10 F3000 ; move to start position
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for nozzle to reach printing temperature now that we're in a place it doesn't matter if it dribbles a bit
    G0 Z0.28 F240 ; move down to bed level
    G1 X2.0 Y140 E10 F1500 ; draw the first line
    G0 X2.3 Y140 F5000 ; move a bit to the side
    G1 X2.3 Y10 E10 F1200 ; draw the second line

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    replaced replacement patterns
    • Like 3

Thank you for your response, that is the g code that comes pre loaded on prusa the only thing I contributed was g29 code, but I have never done anything with g code before so I thought it was supposed to be leveling with G29 A so thank you for explaining the code. The firmware on my printer is jyers. People said it has less issues, and it has more options than the stock firmware. I will try your suggested code and report the results.

Edited by Thomas621

PrusaSlicer uses different "replacement patterns" and square brackets while Cura uses curly brackets to enclose replacement patterns.  You need to make a couple of changes because

"{first_layer_temperature[0]}" won't get replaced.

For Cura it will be:

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

AHoeben has put together the full list of replacement patterns for Cura HERE.

You can do math in the StartUp Gcode starting with Cura 5.6.0.

G0 F{speed_travel*60} will convert the Cura "Travel Speed" setting from mm/sec to mm/minute as is used in the gcode file.

• Like 1

@GregValiant Thanks for clearing that up, I sort of glossed over the code that looked okay to rant about the code that didn't. I'll edit my post accordingly.

Also, I could swear I read the whole Cura 5.6 changelog and nothing mentioned being able to evaluate Python in machine definitions. But I could swear a lot of things that probably never happened, so take that as you will.

@Slashee_the_Cow So the g-code didn't work, maybe it is my firmware even though it worked fine a week ago but once it gets to G28 it ignores everything after that sets the temperature to 0, then skips to "G0 Z0.28 F240 ; move down to bed level". I honestly don't even know how that is possible. Should I try a firmware update?

Edited by Thomas621

I tried some other start g-code and it seems my printer is just ignoring everything to do with G29 for some reason

Probably something to do with how the firmware is interacting with the touch sensor. Unfortunately trying to fix that is well outside my area of expertise.

Ok thank you for your help.

• Solution

I found out the issue, for my firmware you need to use G29 P1

• Like 1