Cura not slicing part of my model

Mkono1
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Cura not slicing part of my model

image.thumb.png.5b6443ccb7f9ffa5846ea2b88c9c0d8b.png

I am trying to print this 3d model but as you see it is not slicing the top and bottom bits, I tried thickening the walls and got the following error.

image.thumb.png.a81187b7f476e0818d18200d9d0cd966.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Solution

Almost certainly an issue with the model.  Are you by any chance using blender or sketchup?  If so then most likely the problem is with "normals".  Read about normals for blender or sketchup and how to fix them.

There are other possibilities.

Actually I think I see a more serious problem already.  I can see your cylinders have walls inside the part.  That's a no-no.  You can't have walls *inside* a solid.  Unless their purpose is to create an air pocket.  That's almost certainly the issue.  Most cad software will not let you create walls inside a solid like that.  I'm guessing you are using blender or sketchup.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 6:52 PM, gr5 said:

Almost certainly an issue with the model.  Are you by any chance using blender or sketchup?  If so then most likely the problem is with "normals".  Read about normals for blender or sketchup and how to fix them.

There are other possibilities.

Actually I think I see a more serious problem already.  I can see your cylinders have walls inside the part.  That's a no-no.  You can't have walls *inside* a solid.  Unless their purpose is to create an air pocket.  That's almost certainly the issue.  Most cad software will not let you create walls inside a solid like that.  I'm guessing you are using blender or sketchup.

Hello, thank you for the help. If it's not too general of a question, what software would you recommend? I tried to use freeCAD but it didn't work very well. 

You can just fix the model for now - I mean it's pretty obvious to you, hopefully, what the problem is.  Just remove any inner walls that are *inside* the model where there shouldn't be any "magic" walls.

So I still think this is the best way to pick cad software.  I did not create this but I think it's fantastic:

bestcadsoftware.thumb.png.e7f26b0a4fdc8ea8e4f39dedf93355f1.png

• Like 1

The above chart led me to Design Spark Mechanical and I just love it but your needs may be different than mine.

I take offence at that chart's terminology - OpenSCAD involves as much scripting as something like FreeCAD does (when you want an array or something like that), but while it might use a C-style code syntax, it's really more of a markup language with maths.

Is FreeCAD really cosidered that hard? I think I've spent all of 40hr learning, most of that on projects "not for 3d printing" (desktop CNC). That knob took me less than 2hr including a couple of misssteps in my initial solid selections. 

Alternatively, I tired to load an STL into Tinkercad and that SOB drove me up the wall! I converted the same STL into an editable solid in FreeCAD in 15min. FreeCAS is not a viable method for STL editing in my opinion but I don't see where it's all that hard for other things. What am I missing? 

I have used Solidworks for almost 2 decades.. I get completely lost in FreeCAD

Personally, using FreeCAD it is like horrific torture device - And I have used probably every CAD application on the market (even high end enterprise ones and legacy ones).. 
    But it is different from person to person