Load GCODE in Uktimaker Cura. I don't see any configuration data

javichuteck

Posted (edited) · Load GCODE in Uktimaker Cura. I don't see any configuration data

After printing a part and it came out with defects, I loaded the GCODE file in Ultimaker Cura and I can't see the values I set on that print.

Why is this happening?
How can I know exactly what "number of wall lines", "how much padding", " support type", etc. was configured for that (or another) print?

Attached is a screenshot with the GCODE loaded in Ultimaker Cura. So you can see what happens

Thanks

Ultimaker-cura-gcode-loaded.jpg

Edited by javichuteck

Posted · Load GCODE in Uktimaker Cura. I don't see any configuration data

Yes, I understood that and saw the message. That's as far as I got. I can read.

So how can I see what all the parameters were that were set when the print was made for that item, is there no way to see it?

Does the GCODE file just "hit print" as it is and that's it, without being able to re-review data?

2 minutes ago, javichuteck said:

Does the GCODE file just "hit print" as it is and that's it, without being able to re-review data?

Exactly. You can only see the result, not the parameters.  But you can also import the GCode as a profile, allowing you to recreate the configuration used and analyze the GCode if necessary.

This part is not clear to me.

Me, normally:
    - I generate the STL file from my design program.
    - Import it into Ultimaker Cura
    - And generate the GCODE for printing

I'm not clear about what you said.
    Could you give me more details?

Thank you!

Cura has a "project" format with the extension 3mf. GCode is the output that a device (3d printer) consumes, not the Cura project. While Cura can import GCode, it has nothing specific that requires it to contain Cura configuration information. For example, my CNC uses GCode files. These files are generated by completely different tools (FreeCAD, Universal GCode Sender, Jaysen typing). Cura can open and display some of these files. Not one of them is for a 3d printer. 

If you want to retain the exact settings you used to generate gcode you need to save the project as a 3mf and the reload the 3mf. That is the only 100% way to get all the setings. 

Okay, something new I didn't know about. 3MF export.

Well, from now on, I'm going to export all the projects / parts in 3MF to get a configuration backup of each one of them.

Thanks for this information. I find it very valuable!

I just did a test and it didn't work. Let me explain.

- I have an STL
    - I have taken it to Cura
    - I put supports on it (to do something concrete).
    - I exported it as 3mf
    - I have imported another STL
    - I removed supports in that second STL
    - And I imported the initial STL

And there, the supports configured for the first STL do not appear.

What am I misunderstanding?

The STL is an object. It is separate from the 3mf. 

If you want to use the settings from projectA on a second object, you need to save projectA as a new project then add the second object. 

a different way to think of this. STL are like jpg files. You can add one to a document you are typing. If you add that jpg to a different document, you don’t get all the information from the first document you typed. Same thing. 

3mf are cura document (roughly). They are what stores the configuration for a specific session. You just have to remember to save the session. 

if you are looking to retain settings to use for many prints, then you can make a specific profile that can exist globally. Kind of like a favorites. You can set up a number of these to meet you needs. I have “quick and dirty”, “mystic mountains”, and “go make a sandwich” which are draft, lots of support, super quality respectively. 

Either Cura (or one of the many plugins I have, but I'm not using specifically for it) does write many of the configuration settings in use as comments at the end of the gcode file.

1 hour ago, javichuteck said:

I just did a test and it didn't work. Let me explain.

- I have an STL
    - I have taken it to Cura
    - I put supports on it (to do something concrete).
    - I exported it as 3mf
    - I have imported another STL
    - I removed supports in that second STL
    - And I imported the initial STL

And there, the supports configured for the first STL do not appear.

What am I misunderstanding?

The supports for the first STL only exist in the 3mf file. You need to load that to have the first one with supports.

36 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Either Cura (or one of the many plugins I have, but I'm not using specifically for it) does write many of the configuration settings in use as comments at the end of the gcode file.

Based on all my files including something like 

;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Standard Quality
    ;SETTING_3  #2\\ndefinition = creality_ender3s1pro\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = qual
    ;SETTING_3 ity_changes\\nquality_type = standard\\nsetting_version = 22\\n\\n[va
    ;SETTING_3 lues]\\nadhesion_type = none\\nmaterial_bed_temperature_layer_0 = 65.
    ;SETTING_3 0\\nsupport_enable = True\\nsupport_type = buildplate\\n\\n", "extrud
    ;SETTING_3 er_quality": ["[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Standard Quality #2\\
    ;SETTING_3 ndefinition = creality_ender3s1pro\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_c
    ;SETTING_3 hanges\\nquality_type = standard\\nsetting_version = 22\\nposition = 
    ;SETTING_3 0\\n\\n[values]\\ninfill_pattern = trihexagon\\ninitial_layer_line_wi
    ;SETTING_3 dth_factor = 125.0\\nmaterial_print_temperature_layer_0 = 200.0\\nret
    ;SETTING_3 raction_hop_enabled = True\\nretraction_hop_only_when_collides = True
    ;SETTING_3 \\nsupport_pattern = lines\\n\\n"]}

And I've added no specific plugin, I suspect Cura is adding the info. But I don't think it is being read, nor should we expect it to be read as GCode is not garanteed to have the data. 

I would also suggest that other plugins or post processing (such as with Octoprint) may make this data unreadable... there are "extra lines" after these in my files thanks to the layer progress plugin in Octo. Once you are talking GCode... all bets are off.

3 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

Based on all my files including something like 

;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Standard Quality
    ;SETTING_3  #2\\ndefinition = creality_ender3s1pro\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = qual
    ;SETTING_3 ity_changes\\nquality_type = standard\\nsetting_version = 22\\n\\n[va
    ;SETTING_3 lues]\\nadhesion_type = none\\nmaterial_bed_temperature_layer_0 = 65.
    ;SETTING_3 0\\nsupport_enable = True\\nsupport_type = buildplate\\n\\n", "extrud
    ;SETTING_3 er_quality": ["[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Standard Quality #2\\
    ;SETTING_3 ndefinition = creality_ender3s1pro\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_c
    ;SETTING_3 hanges\\nquality_type = standard\\nsetting_version = 22\\nposition = 
    ;SETTING_3 0\\n\\n[values]\\ninfill_pattern = trihexagon\\ninitial_layer_line_wi
    ;SETTING_3 dth_factor = 125.0\\nmaterial_print_temperature_layer_0 = 200.0\\nret
    ;SETTING_3 raction_hop_enabled = True\\nretraction_hop_only_when_collides = True
    ;SETTING_3 \\nsupport_pattern = lines\\n\\n"]}

And I've added no specific plugin, I suspect Cura is adding the info. But I don't think it is being read, nor should we expect it to be read as GCode is not garanteed to have the data. 

I would also suggest that other plugins or post processing (such as with Octoprint) may make this data unreadable... there are "extra lines" after these in my files thanks to the layer progress plugin in Octo. Once you are talking GCode... all bets are off.

Of course it's not read by any gcode reader - it's all comments (which start with the ";" character in most flavours). But you can read it by hand to see at least some of the parameters used when slicing the file, so that you can work backwards.

If (for example) you use a custom profile that was based on "Standard" (or "Draft", or whatever) then that last portion of the Cura Gcode file would show all the differences between your custom profile and base profile that was used to create it.  If you happened to use "Standard" with no changes, or if your custom profile used for the slice happened to be the same as "Standard" then the final paragraph would be empty.

If you go to "Manage Profiles" and then "Import" - down in the File Type box you can select Gcode Files.  When you import a Gcode as a profile, Cura will pull what it can from that final paragraph and build a custom profile.  You can switch to that profile but you would still need the model so you would have something to slice.

The final paragraph cannot be post-processed because it is inserted into the Gcode file after the post-processors run.

This thread is very confusing because Cura has so many damn features.  Yes, some settings are in the comments at the end of the gcode.  This is not the best source of settings but it may help out sometimes.

Then there are project files and there are profiles.  Profiles are a set of settings.  To make things worse there are machine profiles, material profiles, and profiles that inherit from other profiles.  And then there is "the" profile.  You can create your own profiles, save them, load them, change settings on top of them without saving the changes and so on.

Some people love profiles.  I hate profiles and love project files mostly because historically profiles had more bugs.  It's like two different religions.  You can use either profiles or project files for the same purposes.  We really don't need both features but they each have their minor advantages.

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

Use project files for now.  Everytime I save a gcode file I immediately also save the project file.  The project file contains:

the STL

the profile

machine profile

material profile

overridden settings

And those are all separated out so I can see what settings you overrode AND I can see what printer you are slicing for (the machine profile) AND I can see if you messed around with the machine profile or material profile.  ALSO if you rotated your STL, resized it, if you printed multiple objects... it's all visible in the project file.  So if you have a cura bug, I can load your project file and should get the exact same situation as what you see in your cura (if same version of cura).

So what you should do in above example
    1) load STL, slice, save as gcode, save as project file P1

2) change profile, change settings, delete STL

3) load P1, STL will be loaded, back to original profile, back to original settings overrides

4) delete model by clicking it and hitting delete key, load second STL.  All settings preserved from P1.