Architect looking for guidance

Posted · Architect looking for guidance

Hello everyone,

my name is Andre and I'm an Architect. I just got a job at a architecture firm and I came to fill the space of another colleague. This colleague was responsible, beside many other things, for the 3D printings of our work so, my Boss ask me to search for a course or a way to learn what he was doing. What I know is: he used the models from Archicad and load them up into Ultimaker Cura. There are some courses in Udemy, but they are too general or too dense, and I needed something simpler and focused on my area. Is there any 3D printing courses aimed for the architects? 

I attached some examples of his work. Small to mid size models.

Thanks in advance.

André

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 11.12.37.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  @Dustin of UM may know of classes for owners of UM machines.  For the rest of us it's mostly "jump into the deep end" and sink or swim.

A couple of questions...

What printer(s) do you have access to?

What materials will you use for printing?

You will need to adjust the models for 3D printing.  Simply scaling them down will cause features to "disappear" because they get too fine to print.  You can see them in the model, but the line width of the printer simply can't be adjusted small enough to print them.  Things like window mullions, small overhangs, landscape trees and bushes, supports for walkways, etc. don't lend themselves to 3D printing.  My guess would be that making those sorts of adjustments was a big part of what your cohort was doing.  You must think "fun scale" and not "exactly to scale".

I'd start with google.  The basic steps are to export your model as an STL file, then read the STL file into Cura and slice it.  youtube should be able to show you how to do those steps (export model as STL in archicad, and then how to slice a model in cura).

If you have an Ultimaker printer then I think that Ultimaker has some courses.