Cura 5.6 is slicing slow

Firedawg75

Posted · Cura 5.6 is slicing slow

I have not changed computers but updated to the new Cura 5.6 from the previous version. Now I try and slice the same model that used to take me like a minute or two on the old version to taking nearly 15 minutes or longer to slice. I do not know if I am doing something wrong or not. Same printer and slice setting as before.

5.6.0 can be a lot slower and I have no idea why.  There are supposed to be improvements in 5.7.

There was a bug report on Github regarding a largish model that wouldn't slice.  I checked it and there were no errors in the model.  I set Cura to slice it.  After a few minutes I walked away to do something else, and I forgot about the computer.  The next day I was away from home.  When I finally got back to Cura, slicing had completed.  I checked the log file and slicing took 38 HOURS.  (The "print time" was 18 hrs.)

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I checked the log file and slicing took 38 HOURS.

Try setting your Maximum Resolution to something higher than 1 femtometre.

I kid. As far as I'm aware.

@Firedawg75 I'm not sure about Mac, but on Windows you can have as many different versions of Cura as you want installed side by side, so if something's taking ages in 5.6, you can try in 5.5. On Linux you're not even installing them so it's just a matter of running a different AppImage. If you save your project as a .3mf in 5.6 (go to File > Save Project) and then load it in 5.5 it should copy all the quality settings from it.

On Mac, go to the applications folder and rename the application to something like “UlriMaker Cura 5.6” 

Not sure how to avoid conflicts in preferences as I’m not at home to validate a method 

7 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

On Mac, go to the applications folder and rename the application to something like “UlriMaker Cura 5.6” 

Not sure how to avoid conflicts in preferences as I’m not at home to validate a method 

If the application name includes the version then I'm guessing you can have different versions installed side by side fine. I do really need the whole "two set of preferences for one version" thing so when I'm testing things for people on the forum, it doesn't mess up the preferences for when I'm using it personally. Right now I'm using batch scripts to launch a "clean" or "unclean" version with two copies of the preferences folder, the script just renames the appropriate folder to "5.6" when I launch each one.

Not only is slicing slower, but I have objects that just won't slice no matter what. It just gives me a "Slicing failed with an unexpected error. Please consider reporting a bug on our issue tracker." message. Reporting the bug requires a GitHub login, which I don't have. 

For some, disabling tree supports and using normal supports work. For others, it just won't go no matter what settings I'm using. I get a massive spike in CPU usage just before the slice crashes. 

image_2024-01-30_113024263.png

image_2024-01-30_113057899.png

Can you share that project file by chance.. that model looks a bit odd and I suspect its actually broken

The one in the screenshot is: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2432066

I have also had issues with https://www.printables.com/model/610425-voyager-intrepid-class and https://www.printables.com/model/602688-enterprise-e-sovereign-class

With the final two, if I restart my computer it would get the first slice, but if I tried to change something it would never slice again, even if I reversed those changes until I restarted the computer. 

Less issues, but still slow, with 5.5 

Computer specs: 

Windows 11

Intel Core i7-1250U @1.10GHz

16GB RAM

Integrated graphics

Could you please share the .3mf project files (get it ready to print - or at least slice - in Cura then go to File > Save Project) so we can see the settings you're using in case that has something to do with it?