How to calibrate the E-steps on a replicator 2 ?

NanoSenpai
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted (edited) · How to calibrate the E-steps on a replicator 2 ?

Hello. 

I have the problem that i adaptet the replicator 2 with @jessecake ´s methode and everithing is working. 

Now i have a extruder from bondtecht, the problem now is that the gear ratio is differend from the original one and the setup guid from bondtech mentions that i neet to change the e steps from 96 or so to 140. in the cura start Gcode it doesnt seem to change anything. Is there a way to change it directly in the printer or the files?

bondtech installation guid replicator 2.pdf

20240130_070021.jpg

Edited by NanoSenpai

• NanoSenpai changed the title to How to calibrate the E-steps on a replicator 2 ?
    Posted · How to calibrate the E-steps on a replicator 2 ?

This really belongs in the "third party modifications" forum, not the Cura forum. @gr5 or @Dustin, mind moving it?

And for what it's worth, personally I don't know if it can be done in UltiMaker's gcode format, but on Windows you could edit the machine definition file to include

"machine_steps_per_mm_e": {"default_value": "140"}

in the "overrides" section (and make sure to put a comma at the end if you're not putting it in as the last line... and if you are putting it in as the last line, put a comma at the end of the line before).

This will get overwritten if you reinstall Cura, and if you upgrade to a new version the change won't carry over. For that, you'd need to make a copy of the printer as a custom definition and store it in the Cura configuration folder.

If you're not on Windows, Cura doesn't really get "installed" so it doesn't have a bunch of files you can edit. You'd need to pull the files out of the application (or out of the installer for the Windows version, 7-Zip can open that fine) or download them from the Cura GitHub and make your custom version and put it in the Cura configuration folder.

ok thanks ill try it today. 

where do i find the right file for this? 

is it the machine instances?

C:\Users\juventuri\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.6\machine_instances 

Edited by NanoSenpai

I know very little about the replicator2.  In most 3d printers you should be setting the steps/mm on the printer somewhere. Sometimes it is a menu option but often it's more complicated.  Sometimes you even have to rebuild the firmware.

Does the replicator2 use some version of Marlin firmware?  If so there are gcodes to set the new steps/mm permanently.  You need a way to send gcodes to the printer and get feedback.  There is a command to ask the printer it's settings, one to set the steps/mm for any axis, then one to do a permanent save so it will still work the next time you boot.  There should be lots of information on the internet somewhere specifically for replicator2's but if it has Marlin then you can probably follow instructions for any printer that has Marlin (back then 99% of printers had Marlin).

Yea i tried that already but i cant connect to the printer with the com port. Only maker print Desktop the old maker bot software can connect to the printer. And im not sure if i can change the right settings. It is explaned in the bondtech setup guid 

it does the same. im at a loss here i searched everywhere to set up the printer right in cure but it just ignores the e step values i give it. In matter controle 2 i can change the starting g code and it works but not in cura.

If it is working in Matter Control and not UltiMaker Cura, that points to bad start gcode.. 
    Slice something like a basic cube in both slicers and share the gcode file that is generated from each.

You might be able to adjust the E-steps by adding a line to your startup gcode in Cura.

The RepRap wiki has question marks in regards to Makerbot firmware so this might not work on the Replicator.  It's worth a shot though.

M92 E140 for a single extruder

M92 E140:140 for a dual extruder

If it works for one print then you might be able to make it the default by using:

M92 E140 ; set the E-steps

M500 ; Save the setting in the printer

If that works then you can remove the lines from your startup.

The same gcodes that work through a com port can instead be printed through an SD card (at least that's the usual case - I really don't know MB printers).

Yea if i connect the printer via com port i can change the e steps but i cant save them. and i tryed changing the g code in cura to M92 M140 and it does always default to the original. i think i need to change the default in the x3g plugin 

i even ttyed a plugin that lets me change the e steps in the settings menu but that still doesnt work.

@Dustin ok ill try that today after work. 

that is my exact starting g code in cura i only changed the E101 to 140 and i even tried 200 just to make sure that it doesnt work. I also changed the g code flavor. but that only gives an error that the printer heats up than stops. Can it also be that i am using wrong versons of cura or the plug in?

; -- start of START GCODE –

M73 P0 (enable build progress)

;M103 (disable RPM)

;G21 (set units to mm)

M92 X88.8 Y88.8 Z400 E140 ; sets steps per mm for replicator

G90 (set positioning to absolute)

(**** begin homing ****)

G162 X Y F4000 (home XY axes maximum)

G161 Z F3500 (home Z axis minimum)

G92 Z-5 (set Z to -5)

G1 Z0.0 (move Z to "0")

G161 Z F100 (home Z axis minimum)

M132 X Y Z A B (Recall stored home offsets for XYZAB axis)

(**** end homing ****)

G92 X147 Y66 Z5

G1 X105 Y-60 Z10 F4000.0 (move to waiting position)

G130 X0 Y0 A0 B0 (Set Stepper motor Vref to lower value while heating)

G130 X127 Y127 A127 B127 (Set Stepper motor Vref to defaults)

G0 X105 Y-60 (Position Nozzle)

G0 Z0.6 (Position Height)

; -- end of START GCODE –

; -- start of END GCODE –

G92 Z0

G1 Z10 F400

M18

M104 S0 T0

M73 P100 (end build progress)

G162 X Y F3000

M18

; -- end of END GCODE –image.thumb.png.f4961b5812828d953a7db81a44d64ed7.png

So much for my idea.

That M92 line was always in the StartUp and you just changed the E value?

140/100 is 140%.  If you were to set all the "Material Flow" settings in Cura to 140% it would have the same effect as altering the E-steps by the same amount.  Clumsy for sure, but it's a possible workaround.

It may also be possible to get the same effect by using M221 if your printer will understand it.

If you were to slice that cube and then go into the gcode and add M221 lines every 10 layers or so, you could start at M221 S130 and work your way up (or down) and every 10 layers the Flow Rate would change.  It would be a way to dial it in IF (a big if) it works.  

so today i tried a couple of things. 

first i tried to set the e steps for the printer again. - doesnt work. 

than i changed the e steps and offsets in a jason file replicator2.jason in the maker bot print software, than i reset the printer to default and checked again if the settings i changed worked. and now i can print in makerbot print perfectly.

than i tried printing in cura but i didnt change anything. than i changed the flow rate to 140% an that fixed it for me. it is by no means perfect but way better than before.

I think it has to do with the x3g writer plugin. in the setup process in cura i needet to change the metadata to "r2" that are some settings for the x3g converter and i think these are the cause of the problem and i dont know how i can find the default settings there.

• Like 1

https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/X3GWriter/issues/41

i think what i am looking for is to change the gpx writer

https://github.com/markwal/GPX/blob/master/src/shared/std_machines.h

from this: 

static Machine replicator_2 = {
        "r2", "Replicator 2 (default)", 0, 0,
        {18000, 1000, 15, 2500, 285, 88.888889, ENDSTOP_IS_MAX}, // x axis
        {18000, 1000, 15, 2500, 152, 88.888889, ENDSTOP_IS_MAX}, // y axis
        {1170, 150, 10, 1100, 155, 400, ENDSTOP_IS_MIN},        // z axis
        {1600, 2000, 20, 96.275201870333662468889989185642, 3200, 0}, // a extruder
        {1600, 2000, 20, 96.275201870333662468889989185642, 3200, 0}, // b extruder
        1.75, // nominal filament diameter
        0.97, // nominal packing density
        0.4, // nozzle diameter
        {0, 0, 0}, // toolhead offsets
        {0.0050, 0.0550},  // JKN
        1,  // extruder count
        20, // timeout
        MACHINE_TYPE_REPLICATOR_2
    };

to my desired:

static Machine replicator_2 = {
        "r2", "Replicator 2 (default)", 0, 0,
        {18000, 1000, 15, 2500, 285, 88.888889, ENDSTOP_IS_MAX}, // x axis
        {18000, 1000, 15, 2500, 152, 88.888889, ENDSTOP_IS_MAX}, // y axis
        {1170, 150, 10, 1100, 155, 400, ENDSTOP_IS_MIN},        // z axis
        {1600, 2000, 20, 147.773066, 3200, 0}, // a extruder
        {1600, 2000, 20, 96.275201870333662468889989185642, 3200, 0}, // b extruder
        1.75, // nominal filament diameter
        0.97, // nominal packing density
        0.4, // nozzle diameter
        {0, 0, 0}, // toolhead offsets
        {0.0050, 0.0550},  // JKN
        1,  // extruder count
        20, // timeout
        MACHINE_TYPE_REPLICATOR_2
    };

but how ??? i am way too deep in this already for my knowledge 

I wanted to give you guys some feedback with my problem.

I tried everything now. The only solution i have right now is to use the original makerbot software to print with or use 140%flow in cuta which is not ideal. I also found the solution but to change that i need to learn how to progamm. In cura it works like this. If i adapt the printer in cura i need to install a plugin that can create x3g files the x3gwriter its called. It hase a set ammount of printers like the replicator 1 / 2 / 2with heated bed and a lot more. Every printer hase defined x y z and e steps in the plugin and you tell cura wich to use with the command

machine_x3g_variant = r2 for the replicator 2. Like you can see here.

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/32744-better-method-to-using-replicator-2-printers-with-cura/

So in short, i need to add the settings in the plugin and call it for example r2b or so. These settings overwrite even the gcode in cura.

But thanks for you help, now i am looking for someone that can help me make the change in the x3gwriter plugin if that is possible. 

Did you try editing the printer's definition file like I suggested?

A little more light reading HERE.

Ghostkeeper did leave some how-to instructions.   The plugin needs to have the lines altered for the E-steps and then it has to be re-compiled in "CMake".

i tried that now can you check if that is right only the chang 

"machine_steps_per_mm_e": {"default_value": "140"}

didnt work alone 

makerbotreplicator.def.zip

All those settings in Cura (steps/mm, Max Speeds, Accel, etc.) are only for reference and isn't actually used anywhere.  Cura isn't capable of asking the printer what the actual settings are and then parsing/showing the response.

It looks to me like re-compiling the X3G writer is the only thing you can do (and even then you have to cross your fingers and hope it works).  It's odd (and unfortunate) that the "M92" line didn't work.

Did you try the "M221 S140" line in your startup gcode?  If the printer understands it then that would allow you to leave the Cura settings at 100%.  Setting the "global flow" that way would be a little neater.

ill try my json file in the evening and if that dosent work ill try to change the x3g writer with a friend. 

if the M221 S140 command works it doesnt matter for me if i set it manually to 140% or use that command.

i hope that the jason works because in the maker bot desktop slicer that is how i fixed it there like shown here but in this slicer the x3g converson is integrated. 

bondtech installation guid replicator 2.pdf

Edited by NanoSenpai

• Solution

Functionally there is no difference between changing the E-steps and adjusting the Flow %.  The end result is the same in both methods.

100% of 140 steps = 1mm of filament

144% of 97 steps = 1mm of filament

I understand your desire to "do it right".

As far as workarounds go, adjusting the flow isn't too bad at all.  Getting good prints is what it's all about and if a flow adjustment allows you to do that, then it's all good.