Um3 cpe? constantly entangles it self

Gosh

Posted · Um3 cpe? constantly entangles it self

image.thumb.jpeg.d6078268e5c97b9f40c823e6f8363f75.jpeg

Hello. pretty much every time, i try to print with cpe+ it entangles it self. is there anyone else who had a similar problem. 
Sincerely Kim.

It took me years to figure this out but once a loop goes under another it just exists "forever".  The solution is to slide many loops off the spool.  Well first remove the spool from the printer, then slide several (maybe 5, maybe 20) loops of the spool and untwist to make sure there are no tangles.  Then carefully spool it back up and put it back on the printer.

You may think "but I was very careful from the moment I took the spool out of the packaging to never get it twisted under itself".  It only takes a moment and it sproings like a spring and the end instantly gets tucked under another loop.

By the way, it's possible to fix his without removing the filament from the feeder.  But trickier.

The one rule of thumb for handling filament:

there are only three positions for the end of the filament:

1. fixed to the spool
    2. inserted in the feeder
    3. in your hand

Every other position sooner or later will lead to a mess 😉.

Regards

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s.

I have worked with 3d printers for a couple of years, and while I have experienced entanglements before on my Prusa printer.

I have only experienced it on the ultimaker s3 with Cpe+. the picture showed was first print on a new spool.

To the point that it more often, than not would end in a failed print.

So, I have made a DIY solution, that currently is 2 out 2 successful.

Again, thanks for the reply’s. test

Sincerely Kim

I have gotten maybe 100 tangles like that over the years.  None in the last 5 years.  You learn to grab the end of the filament and never let it out of your grip (death grip) until loaded on the back of the printer.  No manufacture ships it with a tangle.  Not only is it easy for them not to - if you watch how the filament is wound - there is just no way to add the tangle.  It's "user error".  It is worse with some filaments than others due to their springyness - they just kind of go "sproing" out of your finger and suddenly the end jumps under another loop and then there is a tangle but you didn't notice.  It all looks fine visually unless you unspool it a bit.