Weird Warping Developing

Posted · Weird Warping Developing

So we've been using our S5 for about 6months and we love it. It's great and we always get really nice prints out of it. Recently though we have been seeing a slight bit of warping towards the bottoms of our prints. The last print we've had it basically warped the whole side of the print except for a small section of it. The red highlighted section is the only smooth portion and the blue highlighted section is the worst of it. I think I have all the pertinent settings listed below. We also have the material station and air manager installed. We've also only been using the Ultimaker PLA spools so far and this is the first real issue we've had. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Layer Height: Fine - 0.1
  • Infill Density: 20%
  • Infill Pattern: Triangles
  • Shell Thickness: 0.8/1.0
  • Print Speed: 70 mm/s
  • Support Overhang Angle: 60 degrees

20240402_114104.jpg

It looks like some sort of extrusion problem after the Z seam. Unfortunately there's a lot of things that can cause this to happen. Have you tried printing that model again, or any other models (preferably ones you've successfully printed before so don't need to slice again) since you noticed this problem?

If it's only that model with problems then it's possible it's something in the slicing settings. If you could share the Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura, get it ready to slice, then go to File > Save Project) then we can have a look at the settings and see if anything seems amiss.

If you try printing a model that looked fine first time using the same gcode (not slicing it again) and it has a problem now then it's possible it's a problem with the printer.

I'm just going to tag @gr5 and @Dustin who know UltiMaker printers a lot better than I do and see if they can provide any extra input, even though this sort of thing is a problem that can happen with almost any printer..

UltiMaker don't offer official support via the forums, but have a support site with a comprehensive knowledge base, and you can contact support if you can't find an answer in there.

I'm not sure what I'm seeing but I don't think I'd call it "warping".  It's really hard to say what I'm seeing - yes the blue and red areas look "different".  Not sure what I'm seeing.  Maybe the blue area is underextruded a bit?

Some things that can cause a small amount of underextrusion:

- If you messed with the feeder tension (keep it in the middle - don't mess with it)

- If the front fan failed (not side fans).  It can get clogged up with strings. Heat the nozzle, by the time it gets above 60C the front fan should start spinning - it's very easy to hear.  Open the door and look at it.

- Print cores get partially clogged.  Try some "cold pulls" from the menu.

You might not have any underextrusion.  It's hard for me to diagnose from this photo.