Custom Supports

andwew

Posted · Custom Supports

Hey everyone-

I am up and running with my UM2. Everything is good except for the motor slipping regularly :mad:

But I'll try to figure how to fix that later on...

I wanted to simply ask your techniques for building custom supports. I use curas auto supports, and while they work, I imagine building my own custom ones would yield a much better result.

I've only stumbled upon this technique in zbrush, which definitely seems like a good idea:

http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/mold3d-showcases-diy-supports-with-zbrush

But I was wondering if any of you have a specific way (shapes, coverage etc) of building your own supports?

thanks.

Posted · Custom Supports

My favorite supports are from meshmixer. Here is a great articale by illuminarti with pictures, instructions and so on. It works very very well:

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/12/28/meshmixer-2-0-best-newcomer-in-a-supporting-role/

pay particular attention to how to rotate your part in the "annoyances & limitations" section and also note that there is a small

error where he set layer height to "0.5" mm and it should be the layer height you print at e.g. .2 or .1mm.

Posted · Custom Supports

Yeah, MM just keeps getting better. Some of the annoyances listed in gr5's writeup are actually even fixed now.

Sometimes I still just build supports in my native modeling program though, when I know exactly what I want and can achieve it simply.