Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nick-foley

US source for Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA?

After trying dozens of different filament colors and suppliers, I've come to the conclusion that the all around best filament, in terms of reliable printability and professional-looking output, is the Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA. The older, nonmetallic silver was total garbage... but the metallic kind is excellent. The consistency is good, it flows well at a variety of temperatures, and the "metal" flecks are peerless at concealing build lines.

Is there a source in the US? Or is it known what PLA supplier they use, and if they distribute in the US?

I think it's Colorfabb for two reasons: The filament spools are identical (were identical they switched to clear ones) and they are in the Netherlands. If you look at the filament spools on the websites of all the sellers of filament they are almost all different - no two places seem to use the same design.

I think it's Colorfabb for two reasons: The filament spools are identical (were identical they switched to clear ones) and they are in the Netherlands. If you look at the filament spools on the websites of all the sellers of filament they are almost all different - no two places seem to use the same design.

Then the UM PLA would be PLA/PHA actually? I'm not sure about that. Or did you just mean Colorfabb produces for UM? That's possible (or likely), but I think the material is not the same. The material on my spool of UM PLA silver metallic is rather brittle while the Colorfabb filament I have is rather elastic. However, you can produce filament out of two different base materials and use the same color additives...