US source for Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA?

nick-foley

Posted · US source for Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA?

After trying dozens of different filament colors and suppliers, I've come to the conclusion that the all around best filament, in terms of reliable printability and professional-looking output, is the Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA. The older, nonmetallic silver was total garbage... but the metallic kind is excellent. The consistency is good, it flows well at a variety of temperatures, and the "metal" flecks are peerless at concealing build lines.

Is there a source in the US? Or is it known what PLA supplier they use, and if they distribute in the US?

I think it's Colorfabb for two reasons: The filament spools are identical (were identical they switched to clear ones) and they are in the Netherlands. If you look at the filament spools on the websites of all the sellers of filament they are almost all different - no two places seem to use the same design.

A quick google search shows that printedsolid.com reselles colorfabb in usa but they don't seem to have that color. I'm done for now but try googling colorfabb - maybe they have more resellers in the US.

I think it's Colorfabb for two reasons: The filament spools are identical (were identical they switched to clear ones) and they are in the Netherlands. If you look at the filament spools on the websites of all the sellers of filament they are almost all different - no two places seem to use the same design.

Then the UM PLA would be PLA/PHA actually? I'm not sure about that. Or did you just mean Colorfabb produces for UM? That's possible (or likely), but I think the material is not the same. The material on my spool of UM PLA silver metallic is rather brittle while the Colorfabb filament I have is rather elastic. However, you can produce filament out of two different base materials and use the same color additives...

Great detective work... I guess I'll try out some PLA/PHA as well as pester Colorfabb to see if they sell any pure PLA that they don't normally advertise.

Searching a little more I think that UM is getting their filament from Innofil and that this is the OEM source for the filament:

https://www.igo3d.com/en/silver-metallic-innofil3d-pla-2-85mm.html

Unfortunately they don't seem to be distributing in the US either.

Posted (edited) · US source for Ultimaker Metallic Silver PLA?

I really liked the ultimaker pla silver 3mm filament .75kg roll. can anyone from ultimaker clarify this question? How can we get more rolls of the same filament that shipped with the stock unit ultimaker 2+ in the usa?

Edited by Guest

I really liked the ultimaker pla silver 3mm filament .75kg roll. can anyone from ultimaker clarify this question? How can we get more rolls of the same filament that shipped with the stock unit ultimaker 2+ in the usa?

http://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-filament/products/ultimaker-pla-silver-metallic