Detailed anatomical study

Posted · Detailed anatomical study

Hello.

OK, first off lets see if this image works...

gallery_34551_715_156594.png

Good.

This is a ZBrush sketch, I'm going to be learning anatomy and this is my first go. I want to print these out, as I get better the models will become smoother but these sketchy style models I quite like for the time being.

I'm wondering the best way to print this. I have the machine printing 200microns fairly well, 230degrees C with PLA, 50mm speed, nice thick lower levels to keep things steady. But now I want to increase detail.

I was thinking lower the temp to around 210, change the layer height to 0.075, and the speed to 30 with a layer time of 7.

I'm happy to leave it running all day tomorrow whilst I'm out, I assume this is vaguely safe. What harm can boiling plastic do when left alone!

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. Oh, and all of my models are freely available to anyone who wants them.

Cheers.

Those settings sounds fine to me, if anything the temp might be a bit low. I don't know if it's just my machine but it seems to like fairly high temps. It really should work just fine at that speed and layer thickness though.

You mention using a thick lower layer to keep things stable? How thick is thick? You don't really need a thick lower layer from a printing perspective. If you want it so that it is more tough when handling it afterwards, that's another thing. For comparison I rarely print thicker than 1mm top and bottoms.

edit: You might get less than stellar quality on the underside of the dude's left arm at that angle.

Pretty work, very interesting. Do you have a printable STL for experiments, please? :-P

Markus

I'll upload one tonight, I am going to hollow it out and ensure the bottom is straight and then it'll be going up. I may add some supports too, I'd use Meshmixer but it hangs constantly on any of my Macs :-/ So I do it in ZB.

Looks great. You would`nt need any support for that print. Settings seem good. Leaving it alone for a whole day whilst out is scary at first, but when you get back home and see an awesome print sitting on the bed its a great feeling :)

I really would love to learn Zbrush, but I do find it a little too overpowering for my little patience. I have just downloaded the "simple" version though, sculptris. I might play one day. Would love to do anatomy too, but again, im not very patient lol.

I'll upload one tonight, I am going to hollow it out and ensure the bottom is straight and then it'll be going up. I may add some supports too, I'd use Meshmixer but it hangs constantly on any of my Macs :-/ So I do it in ZB.

Don't hollow it out. Leaving that to cura is a much better choice.

Ahh well, too late! I've got a nice hollow decimated version which should print well. It's available to grab here, I'll be uploading all my files for free use by anyone.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D96EE0343F940893%2111937

Let me know if you print it how it comes out, let me know if it needs fixing too, it loads into Cura but Meshmixer won't load it, it just hangs.

Consider uploading it to http://www.youmagine.com and http://www.thingiverse.com if you want more exposure :)

Adding to them now. :)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/male-torso-anatomical-sculpt

Thingiverse isn't letting me upload so sod em.