Pause During Print?

Posted · Pause During Print?

Which printer do you have? If you have a UM1 with the Ulticontroller there should be a pause option on that. If you have an UM2 a pause function has been added to the Tune menu in the firmware update included with 14.03 IIRC.

Oh ok, I just assumed you had an Ultimaker since it's the Ultimaker forum :p Sorry, I don't really know anything about Printrbot and what features are supported for it in cura.

Sorry we don't do printrbot's here. I hear it's a decent printer and priced nice. But we discuss Cura or Ultimakers, not printrbots.

Wouldn't having a "pause" button in cura be a cura question?

Nevertheless, a good question as at pause the UM1 does.... nothing.... than stay in place where it is...

Wouldn't having a "pause" button in cura be a cura question?

Yes! This is appropriate for this forum. No one said anything about a pause button in Cura though. So I guess now you are asking. It would have been nice if you mentioned this from the start, lol as no one has answered this particular question yet.

I haven't used Cura to pause a print in over a year so I don't remember if it has this capability at all. I thought maybe it *did* have this ability?

I have managed to continue failed prints though after a power failure - if it's more than say 4 hours it's usually worth while to do this. You can just cut power go to bed and rest up and then re-home the printer (hopefully the print isn't too close to home position) then use pronterface to move the head to various Z postitions:

G1 z25.1

That moves bed to height 25.1mm.

And push the head around in X,Y or use G1 commands for that also and figure out exactly where the print aborted. Then edit the gcode and basically remove everything except the homing code up to where you want to continue. Then issue an G92 to reset the extruder to the current postition. Add a Z move after the home so it doesn't go over and hit the part until Z is correct... That's about it.

For example if the first printing move is like this:

G1 X66.1 Y23.4 Z17.3 E2343.1

Then you don't want that first move to put out 2.3431 meters of filament, so just before that you do

G92 E2343.1

Which resets extruder to 2.3431 meter position.