Updated UM2 Fan Mount

Posted · Updated UM2 Fan Mount

Interesting. The distance between heater block and the struts of the fan duct seems to be quite small. Have you taken any measures to avoid the melting of the the struts (I guess you used XT?)?

nice idea but I would definitly buckle the front side right beside the hotend... Iv printed so many fan schrouds that turned to butter after a few minutes beside the hotend..

Ian :-)

I forgot to mention that this is printed in ColorFabb XT.

I had it printing for a few hours overnight with no melting or softening issues yet. Fingers crossed.

So far I've printed a few parts @250°C and some sagging occurred indeed, but the part didn't become disfunctional. In the next iteration the plastic will be a little further from the heating element.

I haven't printed over 230c yet.

Just updated the model with 1mm more space around the heater, and also posted the dual head version.

A colleague of mine with a lot of process experience told me the heat is conducted through convection. A measure would me to put a heat shield in between, but it should not touch the plastic. So a thin sheet of alu foil would possibly work.

I'm in the middle of a 25-hour PLA print. I made the duct from ABS, and no apparent softening yet.

I am trying the Fan-Base-v03.stl file right now and noticed that the temperature got down to 210°C when fan is 100%.

I have to set fan to 60~65% in order to have 230°C.

@pad interesting. Do you think the air is flowing too much around the heating element?

I am trying the Fan-Base-v03.stl file right now and noticed that the temperature got down to 210°C when fan is 100%.

I have to set fan to 60~65% in order to have 230°C.

I had the same experience. Had to reduce the fan speed to hold high temperature.

Hi guys,

I am using Fan-Base-v04.stl printed in ColorFabb XT on my printers and it works great! My first test print was the Ultimaker Robot and for the first time ever, both "ears" had the same quality. No problems with 230°C prints. Didn't try V5 or the other designs yet, since the results with V4 are very good.

Thank you venkel for your great design.

Sebastian

I printed the V5 but in PLA, still not taken time to put it on.

Will it melt?