Sign in to follow this  
aaron

Extruder Drive Upgrade Bearing

Posted · Extruder Drive Upgrade Bearing

Hi all. I have been having issues with the stock extruder for the UM1. The wheel attached opposite to the bolt with teeth machined into it has been worn down. I have been looking for a solution to this on Thingiverse but I have only found upgrades for the spring adjustment part of the extruder driver. Any files you know of that eliminate that flimsy plastic wheel and allow for the use of a bearing directly?

I don't remember the exact size but there are bearings out there that match the delrin ring pretty much perfectly that you can replace it with. I have one, somewhere... that I bought off of Ebay a long time ago.

I think they're 8 x 14 x 4 bearings - I bought some on Amazon. They'll fit over the existing bearing that fits inside the delrin wheel.

At the time I couldn't find the right sized bearing, so I made a ring of aluminum the same size as the delrin one on my lathe. Haven't had any problems since.

Yeah, not sure why UM didn't just include one stock...