Sign in to follow this  
zoev89

How much room between objects

Posted · How much room between objects

I try to design a holder for some glass (transparant plasitic 0.25mm thick) that I want to use on my railway track (H0 scale). So I need 2 objects. 1 object where the 'glass' falls in and an other to go over the glass that I glue to the outside ring. So in principle I have 2 boxes that need to fit into eachother. The wall of the outer box is 0.8 mm so I would compensate the size of the inner box with 0.8 mm (left and right) or should I allow more room? Should I allow 0 mm spacing in between or something like 0.1mm? I still need to glue them together and the less room there is the better.

I will plan to print it with PLA first. If that does not get the desired results I will use ABS (easier to glue).

It's best to test as the shrinkage can vary between plastics, size of objects and shapes. Since you want to fuse the two parts together and not take them apart again you might get away with a 0mm spacing and force the two together. For safety I would probably give it that 0.1mm wiggle room.

Thanks IRoberl

I will try the first design with 0.1mm spacing. Guess my feeling was about right.I might try a little overhang of 0.2mm to have some extra surface and room for error.

I generally find that 0.1 in .1mm printed objects gives what I call an interference fit.

0.2 is generally a bit loose

James

Thanks James,

that is a nice way of explaining. I will try the interference fit so I can use little glue.

Eric,