Possible extrusion problem, or my printer is talking to me.

fingerpuk

Posted · Possible extrusion problem, or my printer is talking to me.

My UM2 is making a quiet and very fast clicking sound, it's coming from the extruder. It's not loud, you can hear it just above the print head motors from 3-4 feet away. IT sounds like morse code, and happens during the print phase. I'm wondering if it's because I'm printing at 0.06 and the motor is in fact advancing at such tiny amounts?

I can't remember if I've heard this before.

Print settings:

PLA, 2.85mm

0.06 layer height

50mm sec speed

200 degrees C, manually upped to 205 to see if that made any difference.

20% fill density.

The print looks great, have to say it seems my troubles (touch wood) have vanished apart from this very quick clicking. I tried taking a video but you can't hear it in that, there is no slipping or anything as far as I can tell.

Cheers.

Yes, I think that's exactly what it is. The motor is advancing a bit jerkily, because of the low volume/second. If the prints look ok, then nothing to worry about.

Hm, I'm a fan of low temperatures :cool:, but:

0.06mm / 50mm /s / 200-205 degree... :shock:...I think that's a very agonizing thing for the weak material feeder motor...

Markus

Then you get a good to very good machine, I am amazed.

But I would use in this case more than 205 degrees, so maybe 210-220 degrees.

Give it a try.

I have noticed during the cool head lift that quite a bit of filament comes out, will try modifying the retraction settings.

The reason for this speed/temp is simply to stop the model melting :)

The Clicking noise could say that is overwhelmed, the extruder motor, and the material flow can not be kept constant, I think so.

Nice that it is not visible on the 3D object.

Markus

I hear a soft ticking during the first layer as well. It's then lost in the noise of the fans. If you look closely at the rotating bolt of the feeder you can see that it moves a bit erratically when printing slowly (or thinly as in your case).

If you happen using material from INNOFILL, then it might be difficult to find good retraction settings.

I was using the Ultimaker filament that came with the machine. I'm now trying the non-branded stuff, we'll see how it goes.

The new stuff seems to curl up from the bed but otherwise seems very good. I'm printing at 50mm/s 0.1 layers and it's going down really smooth. No clicking at all. 210 degrees C.

Hmm, get filament chew now. Something isn't right.