So this is Makerbot. Meh...

twofoot

Posted · So this is Makerbot. Meh...

2uojocz.jpg

ay93js.jpg

243ewsz.jpg

This is printed at "HIGH" on a Replicator2.

Boy did I buy the wrong machine.

And listen to these sounds it makes:

Lovely. Now how to return it and get a UM2?

=(

Chris

Hi Chris

EEuuuwww yeah that noise is horrible. I think something is wrong with your machine though? I seen a Makerbot 2 printing recently and it didn't make that noise.

As for the quality... :(

Looks more like a slicer issue than machine issue honestly. Especially on those tiny letters there's a classic case of the thin wall issue. It prints the outer walls of the letter but is left with a space in between that is less than the nozzle width so it doesn't even try to fill it in. Modern slicers like cura try to fill in those areas as well by extruding less material for those passes (to fake a smaller nozzle).

Just so you know - letters flat on a top surface are difficult. They will come out much better on a vertical surface so it's usually best to print something like that sideways. The nozzle diameter on UM, UM2 and I think most makerbots is 0.4mm which is kind of big for little letters like that.

That sound sucks though - sounds like something is broken. The UM2 is pretty quiet. Only the Z axis is noisy. I can be 2 rooms away with doors open and I hear nothing until the print ends and the Z axis moves all the way down.

In all honesty, I think we could expect the same sort of post about Ultimaker2 on the Makerbot forums.

No printer is flawless. And the printing method isn't flawless. While I would expect a bit better prints from an Ultimaker, I see defects that are just part of DFM printing. So even from an UM2 I would not expect these prints to be perfect.

Others problems however however, could be fixed.

Some are slicing defects. The letters should have been filled better IMHO. This is a software issue. It's a difficult problem, and Cura does a best effort, but also not get's it perfect. Sadly, with a Makerbot, you are fixed to Makerware. In case Cura does not do your job right on the UM2, you can use other software like Slic3r and KISSlicer.

Some are firmware issues. Too high acceleration is a clear cause of some of the banding we've been seeing on the UM2. Expect the same problem is causing issues in these prints on this Replicator 2.

From what I've heard, the Replicator2 has some significant play in the gantry. So much, that someone is making extra money by selling 3th party parts to fix it. I can ask around for the supplier if you want. But it sucks if you need after-market 3th party parts to fix a machine that should have been working in the first place.

(I cannot listen to the noise right now, on slow internet)

In all honesty, I think we could expect the same sort of post about Ultimaker2 on the Makerbot forums.

No printer is flawless. And the printing method isn't flawless. While I would expect a bit better prints from an Ultimaker, I see defects that are just part of DFM printing. So even from an UM2 I would not expect these prints to be perfect.

Others problems however however, could be fixed.

Some are slicing defects. The letters should have been filled better IMHO. This is a software issue. It's a difficult problem, and Cura does a best effort, but also not get's it perfect. Sadly, with a Makerbot, you are fixed to Makerware. In case Cura does not do your job right on the UM2, you can use other software like Slic3r and KISSlicer.

Some are firmware issues. Too high acceleration is a clear cause of some of the banding we've been seeing on the UM2. Expect the same problem is causing issues in these prints on this Replicator 2.

From what I've heard, the Replicator2 has some significant play in the gantry. So much, that someone is making extra money by selling 3th party parts to fix it. I can ask around for the supplier if you want. But it sucks if you need after-market 3th party parts to fix a machine that should have been working in the first place.

(I cannot listen to the noise right now, on slow internet)

I actually dialed down print head speed to 60mm/sec while printing and 100mm/sec when traveling to increase quality.

The default settings were twice that!

C.

Why can't my prints look like this?

mv2rrt.jpg

That looks almost CG.

Though that may be a bit misleading since it looks like a big ultimaker bot. not your standard mini ones you start with on Cura. Still, looks like a really solid print.

I think the robot is about 18cm in size.

And yes.. it is a solid print :cool: