Problem with Tweak at Z plugin

dreamworker

Posted · Problem with Tweak at Z plugin

Hi guys, I encountered a strange problem with Tweak at Z plugin of Cura 14.03 and I want to share it with you.

I create a complex project with Inventor, colt rubber band pistol, and I design several parts. When I imported these parts in Cura I used Tweak at Z to increase temperature for 4 layers and slow down the printer ( Z height to tweak at = 0; ALT layer no. = 4; New extruder 1 temp = 230: new speed = 50% ) , in order to obtain an more smooth surface. But when I went to look at tune menu, I noticed that the temperature rose on last 4 layers not on firsts, but the speed was slowed down correctly. What happened?

I don't know but you should play with it a little. You can see the changes easily in the gcode - just open in a text editor (like notepad) and use the editors search feature to search for "50" or "230". Or maybe set the temperature to 231 if there are lots of "230" already in there and speed to "51" if there are lots of "50" already.

The TweakAtZ plugin has to pass at least one layer without change to become active. So the earliest layer you can tweak is layer no. 1, i.e. the second layer (as layer numbering starts with 0). This makes sense as you should put the settings for the first layer into the standard inputs of Cura (UM1) or into the machine (UM2). Never use the TweakAtZ for level no. 0.

IMHO the case that some changes are made at correct level and others are not is highly unlikely (gcode example please).

i change flow and temp on (ALT) layer 0. I leave (mm) empty. Settings are changed on the first layer after the initial layer. Works every time. So if i want to change Settings on cura´s displayed layer 55, i use layer no 54 in TweakatZ. Cura 14.03.

@gr5: I notice that the temperature change from the 4th layer reading my gcode, and don't stop in it as I want.

I make mistake in my topic, infact I set ALT layer no. to 4 as you can see in this image:

settings

excuse me

@Dim3nsioneer: I try to copy the gcode of one of these pieces, but the page was freezed. How can I do to share it?

@JonasK: I misunderstood than: because I believe that the ALT layer no. is the stop layer not the start layer for the changes

For non-moderators there is only the option to share a link to the file location, e.g. on a dropbox account.

With the print speed one has to take into account that the TweakAtZ plugin changes a scaling factor for the speed. This factor stays on machines with RepRap flavour the same until it is changed again or the printer is reset (as it would when changed on the machine itself).

I opened an account on drop box.

here is the gcode of one part that I designed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iauk118pvna5cq/Copertura%20%20A.gcode

Sorry to interfere in the topic. But it's also about tweakatZ which is very usefull. I've been experimenting with it lately.

One thing that annoys me is that the speed settings remains when the print is finished. Would it be possible to automatically add something to reset the speed to 100% once the print is finished?

@Dreamworker:

Having a look at your gcode I only see a tweak at Layer no. 4 as specified in your settings.

However, I think you suffered from the effect Didier Klein just described. A 50% flow or speed settings remains after a print. If you reset your printer (i.e. switch it off and on) it's gone.

@Didier Klein:

Interesting suggestion. UM1 users and UM2 users with RepRap flavour can include 'M220 S100' for the speed and 'M221 S100' for the flow in their end.gcode. These commands might be added to the end of the gcode file.

An alternative, which would cause much more pain implementing, is to actually recalculate speeds and extrusion values in the gcode.

@Dim3nsioneer: yes at the machine reset the the speed and temperature changes start at layer no. 4. But now: if I want to rise temperature and slow down machine speed for the first 3 layer, what I can do? should I work in reverse manner, ie start with high temperature and slow speed and set Tweak at Z on layer no. 4 with low temperature and increase velocity by 200% ?

For the temperature this is certainly the way to go.

For the speed: If Cura's usual speed up is not slow enough for you (would be a bit surprising), then yes.