Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
thehitman04

Adding its own supports?

Hi, just printing something now that when i had it in meshmixer and in cura it has no supports at all

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29114/#files

This is the file in question, now when it prints its printing with its own support system. Now im not complaining i think its great but what is adding the support?

20140505_231020_zpse0c43631.jpg

Alot of things i do id like this same support network for but i dont know how to add it, i know i can add them in meshmixer but i much prefer this support structure as its alot more robust

thats what i thought, but on one of the ones ive done it definately would have been as it was a 90 degree overhang, the only 2 models its done it on is this one, and a duplo brick type of thing. the brick was the first and i assumed it was the program the guy had used to make the file that did it, it didnt have the supports in cura either. That one was a 90 degree overhang too.

Got me baffled

It depends on where the overhang is and which type of support you're using "Touching buildplate" or "Everywhere". With the first it will only generate support if the support can be built from the buildplate all the way up to the overhang. With the second option it will generate support that can be built either from the buildplate and up or from the actual object itself and up.

Load up a model in cura, switch to layer view and play around with those two settings and you'll see the difference.

Ive got it on touching buildplate since i started it. That makes sense but 2 of the models were almost identical in the way the overhang is, one did and one didnt. Ill have a look at that setting though and see if i can find out why its not doing it all the time.

Thanks

I printed this skull and those supports are well needed. Sometimes you would think that Cura would place supports on some parts but it doesn't and usually this works well. If it doesn't support it's probably because Cura is smart enough to know it will print fine.

This skull will print okay without support but the cheek bones will be messy as there are some big overhangs and the right side has a part that is printed in the air so you would have a hole there.