Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
imsmooth

Abs printing

Shouldn't be a problem, though probably worth noting that unless you find a consumer grade printer with a heated enclosure, any 3D printer that can handle ABS and has a heated bed is going to give you fairly similar performance regarding warping.

UM2 will just give better quality and usability.

How well does the printer make ABS prints with regard to warping?

I only tried once.

With PLA and UM2 I print direct onto the hot glass (60-75c) and it sticks well. I only get warping with PLA with a large base print and thicker material around the edges (a thin print doesn't warp).

I tried the same thing with ABS and it was a total fail. Layer 1 looked great but before long the whole print came off the glass. So, printing ABS onto clean glass does NOT work.

I believe the answer is to coat the glass with an ABS/Acetone mix fluid, there are posts in the forums about it. 'Magic' Juice seems to be the correct approach, although I never tried it. PLA works well for me - the main attraction of ABS would be to make joining pieces together easier.

Cheers

Mark

I have somewhat limited experience with this but I printed my glasses http://imgur.com/fwtIBMs, I wiped the glue stick onto the surface of the bed and wiped a wet paper towel on the surface until the glue was dissolved and printed with the default bed settings. They came out super flat and I generated the curvature with a heat gun after the print.

Printing on glue stick on glass works great with ABS. Pre-heat the bed to 100C, of course.

I've printed 8" tall ABS pieces with no warpage or crackage. And you don't normally need a full enclosure - the heat from the bed will keep it warm enough.