Prints are leaning or something

Posted · Prints are leaning or something

today when i was printing i noticed my prints where leaning. I googled some stuff and found oud i need to tighten the pullys. I did that but now its only worse.

20140508 18153620140508 181522

How can i fix this?

The motors of both the x and the y axis are skipping steps.

Important for what to do next is to know if you have an UM1 or an UM2. From the blue painter's tape it's rather an UM1.

Did you actually tighten the pulleys or the belts? Tightening the pulleys (i.e. the grub screws) shouldn't do any major harm...

Did you update the firmware through Cura or more specifically is the version of the firmware from Ultimaker? Marlin is customizable for various printers and we just need to be sure you used the version built for the UM.

If so, the steppers are missing steps. There are two major reasons this happens:

- The XY axes are binding

- The stepper drivers aren't delivering enough current

Since your initial post implies that you have had previously successful prints, I'm going to assume the drivers current limits remain unchanged which leaves binding.

With the printer off, can you (slowly) move the head smoothly throughout the XY range? Does it get difficult in certain parts? Does it "chug, chug, chug" (you will know what I mean if it does it)?

If you have binding, are the rods straight? Both the thick rods and the thin rods through the head?

If you get "chug, chug, chug", look at the pulleys as you move the head. Are they off center?

This is very common problem. When the part shifts suddenly it is usually a pulley tighten issue. HOWEVER this is a gradual tilt which is usually caused by skipped steps. Also this appears to be ONLY on the X axis - I have no idea why someone would say both axes. The problem is almost always that something is rubbing near the stepper.

For the UM Original this is usually the short belt itself. You can tell that it is rubbing because every time it reverses direction you see it tilt a different direction. Otherwise it is very hard to see. Anyway the solution is usually to add 1 washer under each of the 4 motor mounts. That 1/2mm of increase in distance is usually enough. While the X stepper is loose, look at the distance between the pulley and the motor - the gap should be almost touching - around 1/2mm. If it is farther, then loosen that pulley and slide it closer to the stepper (without it touching).

Ok, so thanks to your help i managed to print it good this time. Thanks!