UM Original DIY - First Print

Posted · UM Original DIY - First Print

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first print and even if u get what it should be it´s not really nice yet.

I would aprecciate some knowledge of you guys what I should do different.

Is there an easy way to tell u my preferences?

I will attach a picture in the first reply (Seems I have to upload it first)

Thanks in advance

Red

First things first: welcome to the forum! :-P

You can edit your post for including the pictures.

Before we have not seen the mess, we cannot laugh - uhm - I mean, we cannot really tell you what's wrong... ;)

Don't worry. The first print of my UM Original was also not very good. However, I trained my dragon...

Ok. As you said, not completely as it should be.

I think you might be printing too hot. What temperature do you use? There are pieces of burnt PLA visible. Is the hotend temperature stable or does it fluctuate? Try a lower temperature and maybe also a lower print speed, e.g. 210°C and 50mm/s are usually a good match. That's about the quality.

Now about the robot leaning forward. It seems as if something is continously slipping or moving. That's actually a bit unusual. For a start, check all the pulleys and their grub screws respectively, if they are tight and do not slip. You can use a marker for that. What about the belt tension? The short belts should be quite tight while the long belts should be tightened reasonably. Check http://www.frequency.com/video/ultimaker-proper-belt-tension/30509804 for the proper belt tension.

Do you use the default firmware (installed with Cura) or have you compiled a custom firmware?

I'm guessing it's a pulley causing the problem like Dim3nsioneer mentions. I'd pay special attention to the ones that are on the shafts of the motors. If it isn't that it is slipping it could also be that it is sitting too far out on the shaft and rubbing against the case of the printer and causing friction.

If you turn off the power and then manually move the head you might be able to feel that one axis is stiffer than the other.

Hey guys,

thank u already.

I´m printing with custom settings on the latest Cura version and the latest firmware.

The print speed is 50mm/s and the temperature is 220° i´ll lower that a bit...

I also think its the pulleys, but I dont get rly how to tighten them or to loosen them either the video is a diffrent( maybe older?) version or i´m beeing stupid.

I will now start another try after tightening (and in case of motors i mean TIGHT) the Y-motor.

Can they be too tight? If so i got them probaply too tight. But this is the only way to get the print head moving I think due to the fact that it´s relly more difficult to move the extrusion head (espacially on the Y-axis).

I also read that they need to be parallel hw can i change their direction - the position of the axis is locked anyway isn´t it?

One last thing which i thinks is solved kinda sloppy is the left back stopper thingy which cables almost directly lead into the y-motor is there any way to improve that?.

Thanks again and ill tell you about the next result soon ;D

2nd try:

2014 05 23 01.34.28

Slightly better, i guess the "bubbles" can be dealt with by thicken the top layer?

This print was at 40mm/s and 210°

Regarding your question what is defined as stable i once saw the temperature drop below 200 but normally its 210 +/- 5° i would say.

thanks for everybodys help so far.

That looks like a grub screw is loose. I had the same thing on my first few prints.

(left screw loose) (right, fixed)

gallery_7531_65_501319.jpg

So these guys here: They should have a grub screw on them, you should have also gotten an extra set of silver ones in a little zip lock bag. If you haven't installed them during your build, replace the black ones with the silver ones and really tighten them down. That should solve your skew problem.

gallery_7531_65_282143.jpg