Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

UM Original DIY - First Print

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first print and even if u get what it should be it´s not really nice yet.

I would aprecciate some knowledge of you guys what I should do different.

Is there an easy way to tell u my preferences?

I will attach a picture in the first reply (Seems I have to upload it first)

Thanks in advance



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first: welcome to the forum! :-P

You can edit your post for including the pictures.

Before we have not seen the mess, we cannot laugh - uhm - I mean, we cannot really tell you what's wrong... ;)

Don't worry. The first print of my UM Original was also not very good. However, I trained my dragon...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. As you said, not completely as it should be.

I think you might be printing too hot. What temperature do you use? There are pieces of burnt PLA visible. Is the hotend temperature stable or does it fluctuate? Try a lower temperature and maybe also a lower print speed, e.g. 210°C and 50mm/s are usually a good match. That's about the quality.

Now about the robot leaning forward. It seems as if something is continously slipping or moving. That's actually a bit unusual. For a start, check all the pulleys and their grub screws respectively, if they are tight and do not slip. You can use a marker for that. What about the belt tension? The short belts should be quite tight while the long belts should be tightened reasonably. Check http://www.frequency.com/video/ultimaker-proper-belt-tension/30509804 for the proper belt tension.

Do you use the default firmware (installed with Cura) or have you compiled a custom firmware?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing it's a pulley causing the problem like Dim3nsioneer mentions. I'd pay special attention to the ones that are on the shafts of the motors. If it isn't that it is slipping it could also be that it is sitting too far out on the shaft and rubbing against the case of the printer and causing friction.

If you turn off the power and then manually move the head you might be able to feel that one axis is stiffer than the other.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

thank u already.

I´m printing with custom settings on the latest Cura version and the latest firmware.

The print speed is 50mm/s and the temperature is 220° i´ll lower that a bit...

I also think its the pulleys, but I dont get rly how to tighten them or to loosen them either the video is a diffrent( maybe older?) version or i´m beeing stupid.

I will now start another try after tightening (and in case of motors i mean TIGHT) the Y-motor.

Can they be too tight? If so i got them probaply too tight. But this is the only way to get the print head moving I think due to the fact that it´s relly more difficult to move the extrusion head (espacially on the Y-axis).

I also read that they need to be parallel hw can i change their direction - the position of the axis is locked anyway isn´t it?

One last thing which i thinks is solved kinda sloppy is the left back stopper thingy which cables almost directly lead into the y-motor is there any way to improve that?.

Thanks again and ill tell you about the next result soon ;D


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd try:

2014 05 23 01.34.28


Slightly better, i guess the "bubbles" can be dealt with by thicken the top layer?


This print was at 40mm/s and 210°


Regarding your question what is defined as stable i once saw the temperature drop below 200 but normally its 210 +/- 5° i would say.


thanks for everybodys help so far.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a grub screw is loose. I had the same thing on my first few prints.

(left screw loose) (right, fixed)


So these guys here: They should have a grub screw on them, you should have also gotten an extra set of silver ones in a little zip lock bag. If you haven't installed them during your build, replace the black ones with the silver ones and really tighten them down. That should solve your skew problem.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 130 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!