Meshmixer Update: Version 2.4 integrates 3D printing services like Shapeways + Tutorials

Posted · Meshmixer Update: Version 2.4 integrates 3D printing services like Shapeways + Tutorials

Most prominent new feature: You can now send your files directly to a 3D printing service and get cost estimates. This might not be the most important feature for Ultimaker users but it's certainly great for modelers. (More details in this http://blog.123dapp.com/2014/05/meshmixer-2-4-collect-the-gold-silver-and-bronze, written by someone who enjoys playing Pokemon.)

I've been using Meshmixer quite a lot recently, not only for generating support as described in http://www.extrudable.me/2013/12/28/meshmixer-2-0-best-newcomer-in-a-supporting-role/ but also creating models.

Thanks to the

I discovered there's a setting in the preferences to flip z-y on import/export. This solved my greatest annoyance with Meshmixer. Previously you had to flip models 90° because the default orientation in Meshmixer is different than in all the other programs (or at the ones I use).

I wholeheartedly recommend the tutorials, if only to watch someone sculpting a headless bunny with bat wings or an equally scary goose-bunny hybrid.

Download it at either http://www.123dapp.com/meshmixer or the awesomely old-school looking website http://www.meshmixer.com/

Posted · Meshmixer Update: Version 2.4 integrates 3D printing services like Shapeways + Tutorials

Nice update.

Ultimaker may contact Autodesk to add the UM1 & UM2 to the list of desktop printer. I think it would be a good promotion to have the Ultimaker logo there, too.

What are the correct settings for an UM2 there?

I'm not sure what "Thickness Threshold" stand for. And what would be the settings for the working space (to be sure to not collide with the clips)?

I discovered the flip y x yesterday it's one of the big stuff that annoyed me with meshmixer. It's a nice tool but i would like more information for example, when generating supports, there are no tooltips with a short explanation so some parameters are just not really clear. And why not keep the parameters stored... I have to recheck all everytime i import a new file....

• 6 months later...

I have been experimenting with it on a print I have been having difficulty with. I created the supports with meshmixer exported the stl and then re opened in Cura for slicing and saving the Gcode. Is this a bad approach? Should I be exporting right out of meshmixer now that there is an option for ultimaker2 in the printers?

Thanks,

Q

No real issues yet, just trying to create a workflow that makes sense. I wasn't sure if anyone has found the supports generated by Cura better worse etc... from meshmixer.

I definitely like the control that I have with supports in meshmixer. I still haven't figured out the best values for density support diameter etc. Do you use the ultimaker preset in the dropdown or create custom settings.

Finally, is there anyway to change the xyz orientation to match Cura, would be nice not to re-orient the model 90 degrees each time.

Thanks for the feedback and help

Finally, is there anyway to change the xyz orientation to match Cura, would be nice not to re-orient the model 90 degrees each time.

Thanks for the feedback and help

In recent versions there is an option for that ( i use "Version: 10.7.84")

1. import .stl file

2. select "File" -> "Preferences"

3. select the "File" tab in the dialog

4. mark the checkbox "Flip Z-Y axis on Import/Export"

5. click "Done"

Greetings from the TinkerCave

Thanks that worked fine. By the way, just out of curiosity I have been playing around with the features that allow you to price and upload to shape ways etc...

Although it seemed to give me pricing etc.. it wouldn't actually upload to the cart. I then went to shape ways and tried to upload the file directly to my shop and found that the pricing was different. Just a heads up.