Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
@mannetje

ultimaker original,ready but not able - solved

Hi all,

Fitst of all, I'm happy to be part of the Ultimaker community. Looking forward to learn and share a lot.

Last weekend I spend 8 hours building my Ultimaker Original. Great fun and not as difficult as I feared. At the end of the evening everything seemed to work fine. The next day however, it turned out that the prints that are made are strangely tall. In other words x and y seem to print correctly, but the z seems to big. Prints become very tall. The Ultimaker Robot was aprox. 5 times higher than expected...

Since I'm an absolute beginner in the field I've no idea where to start solvind the problem and any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Have a great evening,

Maarten

Very strange! Probably 4X taller? Check the jumpers for the Z driver. You can see them in the assembly instructions picture. If the jumper is touching only one pin then it is equivalent to being removed as it isn't conducting:

z jumper placement for UM original

Click the above photo to zoom. Then you can zoom in more by right clicking and do "show image". Then you can zoom in more by clicking it a third time.

The circled jumper in the above photo should be the only Z jumper not installed (or installed only touching one pin). Also I think to the right it might tell you the setting based on which jumpers are installed.

I'm guessing the jumper setting on the driver for the Z-axis is not set correctly.

From http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_build_guide

"Check if all jumpers are in the 'closed' position on the MS1,2,3 inputs on the PCB. There is one exception, the Z-axis will be configured to 1/8th step, by not connecting the third jumper below this stepper motor driver. So: MS3 of Z should be open."

I tend to get wrong advice so others might weight in on this...

If as suggested above, the jumpers seem correct. Is it possible that you selected the wrong machine type in Cura and then updated the firmware to UM2?

I believe one difference in the motion system between the to is that while the XY axes have the same steps/mm, the UM2 has a different Z steps/mm.

Sorry to come up with the same thing again: Did you actually check if the jumper in the middle connects the two pins? There could also be a broken connection from the pins to other parts of the board. Easiest thing to try is to use two jumpers from another axis, e.g. from the second extruder.

Sorry to come up with the same thing again: Did you actually check if the jumper in the middle connects the two pins? There could also be a broken connection from the pins to other parts of the board. Easiest thing to try is to use two jumpers from another axis, e.g. from the second extruder.

no worries, you were absolutely right. One of the jumpers must have been broken, 'cause after switching with the ones of the second extruder printer works great.

Many thanks for all helping out!