Sign in to follow this  
closedcircuit

Nozzle disappearing up its own a***...perture - solved

Posted · Nozzle disappearing up its own a***...perture - solved

Sorry for the bad joke. This questions concerns an UM2.

I've had to use the "atomic method" quite a few times recently. As a result of pulling the filament back when the temperature drops to 90°, the nozzle has almost completely disappeared inside the head (see pictures).

What's the best way to bring it back down again without breaking anything?

Thanks

Phil

Problem Nozzle

Problem Nozzle 2

Strange. Well that nut with the holes in it rotates - you may want to heat to 180C before rotating - you might even have to disassemble enough to get the spring out to lessen the pressure. Rotating that nut (which is not as strong as steel so take it easy!) raises and lowers the nozzle tip so that if we ever go dual extruder you can set them to the exact same height.

Just wiggle it... the collar with holes is just a push fit into the plate underneath it. Take the fan shroud off, and then gently wiggle the heater block back and forth and slide the collar and heater back into place.

@gr5: Thanks (again) for your help. It's really appreciated!

Before I break anything, do you mean that nut (see pic with the red arrow)? If so, is it best to rotate it by putting a lever inside the small holes, or should I use pliers?

Nozzle - Nut

@illuminarti: I think that we've just crossed-posted our messages. Thanks for your suggestion and for all the knowledge you share on this forum. I'm going to put the kids to bed and then try to fix the problem.

You're welcome! I had to do it this morning on one of my printers after installing a new nozzle.

Thanks guys. At first, I couldn't get the heater block to move. As is often the case with this kind of situation, the solution came in the form of a combination of gr5 and illuminarti's advice. I had to heat up the head to 180° and wiggle the heater block while turning the nut at the same time.