UM2 Axis Alignment

chuck_b

Posted · UM2 Axis Alignment

What is the best way to align the axis of the Ultimaker 2?

It seems like it would be easiest to unlock the plastic linear railing blocks and then re-attach them at their proper location.

For the UM1, it looks like people are loosening the pulleys to adjust this. Although, that looks a little annoying.

Thanks!

you only have to loosen two pulleys on the long belts on each axis. If only one axis is messed up you only have to loosen 2 pulleys.

Thanks for the reply.

But, could I also just detach and then reattach the plastic blocks that connect the axis rods to the belt?

That wouldn't work if the belts are not continuous loops.

If you want to align the y-axis blocks (i.e., the blocks on the left and right of the machine) you need to adjust the pulleys that those two blocks' belts go around - i.e., the pulleys on the back and front axis rods, which go from left to right.

The best way to do this is to turn the power off, so you can move the head by hand, and then loosen the pulley in the back right, and the one in front left. Keep the other two tight. Now you can slide the two blocks all the way to the front, until they hit the frame (assuming your frame is square). Or do whatever else you want to do to align them. Then tighten the pulley in the back right again. You might need to slide both the blocks back or forwards slightly to enable you to get access to the grub screw properly. Ideally you want the screws angled down into the body of the printer at about 45º - using a good hex screwdriver will help a lot. I like the Wiha ball-end 2mm hex screwdrivers for this.

Tightening that one pulley should be enough to keep the two blocks in step as you slide them towards the back, so you can get at the front left pulley to tighten it up again.

• Like 1

But, could I also just detach and then reattach the plastic blocks that connect the axis rods to the belt?

I don't know but I know there is a strong spring in there - it's probably easier to loosen a single pulley than move a single block.

No, you can't undo the blocks. Well, you can, but it's very hard to do, since they're a snapfit design that isn't really intended to come undone again.

And even if you did take them apart, there's not way to put them back together accurately positioned on the belts. Undoing the pulleys is trivial in comparison.