beginner problems with infill and quality

ataraxis

Posted · beginner problems with infill and quality

Hey guys!

I already posted this in the german section but I think I will reach more users in the english one... :)

I have some trouble while printing with 50mm/s and faster,

as you can see here:

IMG 20140603 203653

There are a lot of clumps on the infill but unfortunately also on the surface.

I printed this with original PLA at 215°C with a speed of 50 mm/s and 0.1 layer height.

Can somebody imagine a reason for that? I already tried to fasten the belts - but I think they are already taut enough.

Another problem I have is that on the first layers the infill does not overlap the border as you can see here

IMG 20140603 211700

Maybe this is caused by a bad leveling of the printing platform? Because it becomes better and better during the print.

(I still have some problems with the leveling process because the calibration does not last very long)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Greetings, flo

Another problem I have is that on the first layers the infill does not overlap the border as you can see here

Maybe this is caused by a bad leveling of the printing platform?

Yes- it might be that you need to raise the bed closer to the nozzle by a very small amount. But this also is how it looks if your short belts are a little loose - you might want to slide the X and Y stepper motors down a small amount. The vertical axis in the photo looks much worse than the horizontal axis in the photo. I think that's because of a bug in the "infill overlap" feature in Cura. By the way - what did you set infill overlap to? It should be around 15% normally.

The blob problem *inside* the infill - why do you care? If you get blobs on surfaces one simple fix is to slow down to closer to the jerk speed. Jerk speed is 20mm/sec so try 20-35mm/sec and see if that helps blobs. Blobs are caused by many things - the most common two things are:

1) very high polygon count - Marlin can only plan 10 or 20 moves ahead so it needs to decelerate to half of jerk speed (10mm/sec) if the next 20 line segments are all in the next 3mm or so. Changing speeds often causes blobbing.

2) Different infill speed than shell speed.

Slowing down to 30mm/sec is only one way but a simple way to fix most blob issues.

I've settled with printing only and always at 30mm/s with my UM1. Printing slowly significantly improves the print quality and overall "success rate".

Also, the bigger the difference between printing speed and travel speed, the less oozing & blobbing you will get. Ideally, if you want to print faster, you should also increase travel speed. But speeds above 150mm/s can cause problems if your machine is not very well adjusted, oiled, and in general lovingly taken care of :)

thank you or your answers! i leveled again and now it seems to work (who knows how long...)

printing slower seems to be the answer to everything :D but thats not the the root of the problem I think.

I also printed at the same infill speed and shell speed @gr5.