Total Cost for Getting a UM2 in the USA?

Posted · Total Cost for Getting a UM2 in the USA?

From Maker Shed, says in stock, $3000 +$24 for shipping no tax collected.

From UM direct E1895 converts to $2586, but could someone from the US or UM comment about shipping and the taxes, duties or fees the had to pay. It doesn't have to be to the penny, but what would you expect?

I already have a PB+, so I don't have to have printer right now- I'm willing to wait for $400- but if shipping and taxes cut into that....

There's some discussion on taxes/duties somewhere in this forum. Buried in questions about lead time. Use google to search only this forum. Experiment with keywords "custom duties taxes import" and "ultimaker2". To have google only search the forum include this in your search term:

site:umforum.ultimaker.com

The current shipping charges to the USA aren't too bad - about $90 iirc - you can just add one to your cart on the site to see the exact cost. I would avoid adding extra filament or anything else to the order as that increases the price and makes the shipment more likely to attract the attention of customs.

While people sometimes have to fill out importer record forms, and/or maybe pay a customs clearance fee of perhaps $25 to the shipping company, I've never heard of anyone actually having to pay duties on the printer itself to bring it into the USA.

So if you can wait a few weeks, there's plenty of savings to be made by ordering direct.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the US and I ordered a UM2 direct from the Netherlands, along with three spools of filament. FedEx then wanted me to get acquainted with US Customs Form 5106 (Importer ID record), which needs my address, phone, SSN and signature.

The FedEx import agent also objected to the invoice item "cable-us (Power cord: US) -- Euro 0,00" and said they need a specific value for the power cord, although to me it is obviously included in the price of the UM2 itself. I explained that on the phone to her and she said she would make a note on the paperwork that it was a component of the printer.

Also consider how much the wait time is worth to you. 5 - 8 weeks if you order it direct vs. a few days if you order it from Maker Shed or iMakr.us And then if there is a problem you are dealing with the seller for warrantee and repairs.

I did not know about iMakr.us before, their website says UM2 is now in stock. Maker Shed does not have stock right now. The official lead times on the UM website and order confirmation is still up to 8 or 10 weeks but they may be better in practice right now.

If you look in the Ultimaker store, the official lead time is now listed as 2-4 weeks.

And then if there is a problem you are dealing with the seller for warrantee and repairs.

Irrespective of whether you buy from a reseller or direct from Ultimaker, support in the US is provided the same way now.

Imakr have opened a store in the big apple, if that`s of any use lol

The current shipping charges to the USA aren't too bad - about $90 iirc - you can just add one to your cart on the site to see the exact cost. I would avoid adding extra filament or anything else to the order as that increases the price and makes the shipment more likely to attract the attention of customs.

While people sometimes have to fill out importer record forms, and/or maybe pay a customs clearance fee of perhaps $25 to the shipping company, I've never heard of anyone actually having to pay duties on the printer itself to bring it into the USA.

So if you can wait a few weeks, there's plenty of savings to be made by ordering direct.

I had to pay a currency exchange fee through my credit card merchant of about $80.00. I also got a bill from DHL for Duty Fees over $100.00, but I had about 11 rolls of filament in a second box. I'm not sure if that is what caused the fees or not.

TO the USA, filament is a dutiable item at 6.5%, usually, but they might not collect that on small shipments.

If the total value is over a threshold ($2500, I think) then you have to pay a US Customs handling fee (it's about 0.4% iirc).

And then there are the fees that DHL tacks on for their part of it.

10 days after I received my UM2 via FedEx in the US, I got a bill from FedEx for a total of $38.34 for the import duty/tax/customs/other fees. Looks like about $7 of that was for the 3 extra rolls of filament I got with it.